Memento Mori review by Flyleaf

• Released: Nov 10, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Flyleaf: Memento Mori

I went into this CD expecting harsh vocals backed by insane bass riffs and haunting melodic guitars, but all the songs seem to be focused on Lacey's singing rather than Memento Mori is Flyleaf's second full studio album, and it is a bit softer than their self-titled album- released in 2005. This album shows that Flyleaf isn't afraid of trying something new. Memento Mori translates to "Remember you will die." and they wanted people to remember their mortality so they could make the best of their lives. Sadly, each of the band members have had recent contact with death of loved one's greatly influencing this album. Another factor of their sound is that for this album they went with Howard Benson(My Chemical Romance, Papa Roach, Seether)to produce it.

The lyrics are more religion based, and being that Lacey is Christian it doesn't surprise me. One song that stuck out to me because of their religious lyrics would be one of their first singles: Beautiful Bride. ("Body of Christ, One flesh abiding, Strong and unifying, Fighting ends in forgiveness, Unite and fight all division, Beautiful bride") This album goes half and half with lyrics though. Although there are a lot of times the lyrics are powerful and emotionally impacting, they sometimes end up being slightly cheesy in an attempt to rhyme. Lacey has a beautiful way of connecting her voice harmoniously with the rest of the music, such as in the last song on the album called "Arise. Towards the end of the song she really powers "Arise and be, All the you dreamed, all that you dreamed." several times and it sent shivers down my spine. She has definitely improved vocally since their last full studio album.

It's always hard for me to pick and chose favorites but I would have to say my favorites are: The Kind This Close In the Dar Arise Swept Away Why these songs? Well, because they all reflect more of their old sound, and most of these lyrics have a very intense emotional impact when she delivers them. I love the fact that they were able to try new things, but overall I wasn't to impressed with this CD. I do give credit to Lacey for being able to punch out those high notes, and still scream in a couple songs because she's been suffering from shredded vocal chords. I don't hate anything about this album, however, I am disappointed in their choice to focus more on Lacey's voice and less with the bass and guitar portions. If this was lost or stolen I wouldn't buy the album itself, but I'd definitely go online and buy my favorite tracks.