Memento Mori review by Flyleaf

• Released: Nov 10, 2009
Flyleaf: Memento Mori

Ever since 2005 there has not been much news from the band. That is not to say they weren't busy touring and writing, but in terms of a full length album there has been relatively little activity. Luckily their newest release, Memento Mori, which essentially means to be aware that death is all around us (no pun intended)and that each moment should be cherised, proves to account for their four year absence, and perfectly displays the band's maturity both musically and arguably lyrically. Now, I say arguably lyrically because the lyrics are still good, but they were good on the debut, so starting off well in the field it is expected for them to continue in such a fashion; regardless they are quite good, and enjoyable. Just as on all of their other songs the album is a showcase of how to use various effect peddles to their full capabilities.

As previously mentioned, the lyrics are very hard to complain about. They do everything you would want from a Christian Rock band. Rather, they make the listener feel happy, but not a superficial happy. Instead the lyrics are uplifting, and, as cliche as this sounds, and I am sincerly sorry for this, inspirational. This is largely due to how well all of the lyrics mesh with the music behind it. Throughout the album it is obvious that the band has matured to the level that everything perfectly blends together, and that is applaudible considering their first album had a few songs, but not many, that at parts appeared broken. Naturally, the lyrics revolve around getting through struggles, finding hope in the dark, and as the title suggests, living each moment to the fullest. Also worth noting that Lacey Mosley lends a special mood to the music with her vocals. Unlike countless other bands that copy each other, most notably the five hundred Paramore knockoffs, her voice is unique, and her emotions seem to blend with the lyrics and music to give each song it's own distinct feel.

There are a lot of people who find the need to compare Flyleaf to Paramore. Honestly, that is a horrible comparison. This is why; they are not the same type of music. Paramore are a pop rock band and Flyleaf are a christian rock band. Naturally the lyrical themes will be different, and to compare two different themes and styles would be quite difficult. Surprisingly the single, "Beautiful Bride" is actaully good. It would be hard to describe each song and their ups and downs since there are 14 tracks on the standard edition of the album, but two notable tracks are "Treasure" and "Swept Away." That is not to say the others aren't good, but upon the first listening these two stuck out as the most memorable. Being full of fourteen tracks, or thirteen depending on whether or not you count the minute interlude as a full song, that are quite amazing I would definitely buy the album if it was lost, and if it was stolen I might just have to hunt whoever stole it down.

scorpio2billion
    scorpio2billion
    eetfuk58 wrote: eh decent album. i hooked up with lacey once. it was awesome, like this album. =P
    Yeah, I once beat off on a poster, too.
    blueboxdoctor
    EpiExplorer wrote: blueboxdoctor wrote: i have about a million things in this short comment list that don't make sense; and the ignorance of these people just makes me sick scorpio2billion wrote: ...like Slipknot- the most innovative and dynamic band of our age. Riiiiight. if you're serious then you need to check out all the music coming form europe, just go to scandanavia and see what i'm talking about. scorpio2billion wrote: Rock, or any other music, has no inherent faith. There is no "Christian music". . listen to early norweigan black metal and tell me that has nothing to do with church burnings and anti religion themes. EpiExplorer wrote: achaneygtp wrote: lol at christian rock.. FAIL Stole my comment >:O But glad someone had to say it. I think every metal head has one opinion on this poor excuse for a band. You'll just have to guess. so cause i listen to metal as my main genre (and not that american metalcore/hardcore nonsense) i'm not allowed to like anything else? and i know a lot of people who listen to metal that listen to flyleaf. Since when did I have the power to tell you to or not? Idiot, thats the whole point of thinking for yourself: What you want, not others. And if anything, its trash like this that deserves bashing, not you, so stop acting like a victimized 5 year old.
    yeah, but by saying that every metal head has an excuse for this poor excuse for a band you're making the horribly broad statement that everyone who listens to metal doens't like Flyleaf, so if I didn't get to that point before that's what I meant. I just don't like assumptions such as that. But if you don't like them that's cool.
    brocmartens90
    This is why religion shouldnt be dragged into any form of media, if anything its a marketing ploy to sell music to a broader range of people. Now i love TDWP, AILD, ABR etc. but all of your comments are the exact reason why religion needs to stay out of media, becuase its a matter of time before america ends up like a 3rd world country that have to fight over 2 sects of the same religon because they cant agree.
    MotörHeadFan22
    Jon777 wrote: achaneygtp wrote: lol at christian rock.. FAIL C'mon guys! Seriously? "Christian" isn't a genre of music. If we were to create musical genres based on lyrical topics, there'd be Satanic rock, love song rock, etc, etc. Using that same logic: lol at Christian plumbers.. FAIL lol at Christian chefs.. FAIL lol at Christian martial artists.. FAIL ...And the list goes on.
    lol at Christian Bale
    ssjmitch
    achaneygtp wrote: lol at christian rock.. FAIL
    umm im a pretty heavy duty atheist and i still think they are good...
    killfrenziezzzz
    spiff-corgi
    I really like Flyeaf. They write about things that are important to them and they really believe in their message and their music. So much better than lots of other "music" out there at the moment. And no they're definately not metal, but since when did that make a band bad, they're not TRYING to be anything.
    DizzySpell
    I must be part of the minority being verbally culled :S I actually enjoyed the first album and the contrasting harsh vocals that added character to the lyrics. Despite reviews and comments I still want to get my hands on this new album.
    stillsoldier4ch
    firebird103 wrote: GUYS GUYS!!! stop the fighting over the Christian rock genre... Can't we all just get along and worship Satin! ...I kid...but... How about we get people to stop trying to label general music groups as Christian unless that is what the artist wants. I've seen to many times where people have tried to justified that a band is christian rock when they really weren't (with the band usually just having maybe one semispiritual song). Maybe some christians do this since there really aren't to many great christian bands out there. Last time i checked there weren't i mean, i'm agnostic now
    I have to disagree. I happen to think that there are TONS of AWESOME "Christian" bands out there. To name only a SCARCE few: POD, As I lay Dying, MXPX, Skillet, TFK(Thousand Foot Krutch), Seventh Day Slumber, Disciple, Hawk Nelson, Plumb, and yes, even flyleaf. You may not have heard of all these bands, but that doesn't make them bad. It just makes you not know they exist. I suggest listening to them and if you aren't closed minded and only limit yourself to one style of music, I'm sure you'll enjoy at least a couple of those bands. By the way, I enjoy all genres and will not limit myself to only one type of music. That's just silly!
    stillsoldier4ch
    scorpio2billion wrote: Rock, or any other music, has no inherent faith. There is no "Christian music". There are Christians who make music, some of it rock. To scorn ANYTHING based on a perspective that you have no knowledge of is the height of ignorance. Have you ever heard Clutch? There's more biblical imagery in a Clutch song than on most "Christian" bands entire albums. But I've never heard a metalhead bash them. People who hate a band for their views about the world should just listen to something that they're qualified to comment on, like Slipknot- the most innovative and dynamic band of our age. Riiiiight.
    Not too sure about slipknot being innovative and dynamic (I say that because I don't listen to their music and know nothing about the band) but I wholeheartedly agree with everything else you said. Right on the mark!
    blueboxdoctor
    lern2swim wrote: blueboxdoctor wrote: i halfway agree, cause ur second part about christian plumbers/chefs/martial artists makes sense, and is ridiculous. but i think to some degree lyrical themes can direct a genre, and when it comes to religion it's easier to categorize the genre since the world isn't even close to being all christian, and non-christians probably won't listen to it. so in a way it's like a disclaimer, as terrible as that sounds. Well, that's pretty damned closed minded then. I was raised Catholic and even when I was a bit more of a practicing one than I am now, I never had any problem listening to bands that were open about their non or even anti-religious beliefs. Atheists, in particular, are such huge hypocrites. They talk and talk about NOTHING BUT the fact that they're atheist(generalizing, of course)
    yeah, idk how it's close minded, if you mean those who won't listen to it then yes they are, but if not then idk where you're coming from. but i listen to all types of music, and really it doesn't matter that much what the lyrical content is unless it's just dumb and inchoherent, but that's only because it makes no sense. and i'm christian, not a hardcore christian or anything, but idc that much what i listen to as long as it's properly organized musically and lyrically.
    stillsoldier4ch
    Well, one good thing came from all the "Christian band" bashing. I got a whole list of new bands i want to try out. I love Christian music and am always looking for good christian bands. I mostly like rock and punk style but will listen to just about anything.
    Jon777
    blueboxdoctor wrote: Jon777 wrote: killfrenziezzzz wrote: yeaaa.. That ignorant statement about christian rock.. you FAIL.. Ever listened to Emery, Anberlin, Underoath, Red, August Burns Red, Mae etc etc. While not all rock, theyre still Christian, and are wayyy more original than your terrible secular 3 days grace or breaking benjamin :/ just sayin now go listen to slipknot Just to add to that list of good Christian bands... As I lay Dying, Blessthefall, Oh Sleeper, Becoming the Archetype, A Plea for Purging, Switchfoot, The Devil Wears Prada, Haste the Day, Disciple, Demon Hunter, Skillet, Thousand Foot Krutch, Norma Jean, War of Ages, Inhale Exhale. In fact, some would go as far as to consider Killswitch Engage as a Christian band (both the old singer and Howard Jones are Christains). gah, why does nobody know about Theocracy?! they're actually a good band even without christian lyrics, they're just good and not metalcore. no offense to any of the other bands, just not my cup of tea.
    Hmmmmm... progressive power metal? That actually sounds like my cup of tea. I think I'll check these guys out.
    Hearshot Kid94
    dude, thank you guys sooo much! i'm a christian and i was watching let it rock on fuse (yeah, i know, *gasp* from the ignoramus) and skillet's new song was on there, plus a clip where they explained that christian bands don't just write music about God or try to convert people to believe in Him. they just write music for people. so that's an epic fail on the athiest's part. sorry if that was slightly snarky, but it had to be said. =]
    Corrupt_Ideals
    On the matter of the whole Christianity thing, I have to say that I am very much anti-religion. I think it's a bunch of bull personally. But, the little respect for Christians that I have comes from Flyleaf. They might be mega-religious, but something about their music is just so captivating, that it drew me in despite my beliefs (or maybe disbeliefs). In fact for awhile my favorite song by them was "Christmas Song", which is pretty much the story of Christ. So even though they are Christian, and I don't agree with their beliefs, I plan to stick with Flyleaf, because they are an excellent band. Furthermore, I agree that this second albums is much more promising than the first. The first had better single songs, but Memento Mori is better as a whole.
    kitschy
    I don't believe in God, but I love Circle, In The Dark and The Kind despite that. This album is fantastic. Everyone believes in something. So what if people believe in God? Or fairies? Or global warming? Everyone's got their beliefs, and this shouldn't affect their music. Missing, Treasure and Arise should be listened to before making a decision just because they're Christians.
    BigPaws
    hockeyrockcars
    Flyleafguitar
    hockeyrockcars wrote: very disappointed in this cd. a serious letdown from their first album.i was way more impressed with breaking benjamin's new cd. it was awesome! i'm really confused by that statement.... pretty sure she's not a cutter though.BigPaws wrote: I love that twisted, cutter chick. This chick is hot in a different way. I would give her razor blades and rock out with this broad.
    Well...just to comment on that, Lacey isn't a cutter. At least, not anymore. She may have been at some point in her past, though, I'm not sure.
    firebird103
    MetallicStrat8
    ya know why do people care if its christian metal, who cares, i bet half the bands people listen too are christian metal like As I Lay Dying, Every Time I die, Destroy the Runner and more
    MetalheadforJC
    Black Orchid
    Epic win.
    aaron_masta
    JayLacelle wrote: achaneygtp wrote: lol at christian rock.. FAIL ...
    well they're Christians, but they're not labeled as a Christian band.
    achaneygtp wrote: lol at christian rock.. FAIL
    so since they're not singing about generic rock themes based around sexism they're bad? if you're not christian it's cool if you don't like them cause that would probably make sense, but have you ever actaully listened to any other christian rock/metal band? granted most aren't that great, but check out Theocracy, christian metal.
    EpiExplorer
    zernyms
    I like the way Lacey singing...and their 2nd album is filled with great songs..\m/
    Slapfunkah
    padgea7x
    EpiExplorer
    padgea7x wrote: Slapfunkah wrote: I hate it when people call this band metal. I'm not saying they're bad or anything, im just saying there is no way in friggin hell that THIS is metal. People probably think they're metal because the singer can scream, but that doesn't make a band metal.....
    Made of win
    fiktion
    MetalheadforJC wrote: achaneygtp wrote: lol at christian rock.. FAIL Dude you fail, seriously. The members are christian but the music it's self isn't christian. You should do some research before you start bashing bands.
    Maybe someone should fix the information for this album then. It clearly says they are Christian Rock.
    lern2swim
    sg4ever
    Aww, leave him alone. He was justing for something to bash. It's not our problem if he doesn't know his head looks retarded all swollen like that...TEEHEEHEE...I LIKE CHOCOLATE!!!!!
    Idiot_Son
    im a bit on the fence on this one. i like it, but i'm not sure its as good as the first. on the 'christian rock' thing, MxPx are a 'christian' band, but i rarely, if ever, hear people dissing them because of it. its no like this is gospel, or hillsong people. also, i would n't call them metal, maybe hard rock...
    n8blake