New Horizons review by Flyleaf

• Released: Oct 30, 2012
Flyleaf: New Horizons

In "New Horizons" Flyleaf maintains its signature heavy sound mixed with experimentation of effects. The band does great in keeping "New Horizons" very interesting for listeners. The album features heavy songs like "Fire Fire", "Freedom", and "Green Heart", and in-your-face songs like "Call You Out", to lighter songs like the title track and "Broken Wings" (a track that the band wrote way back in the Passerby days before they changed their name). As the last album with Lacey Sturm it is a good album to remember her by.

"New Horizons" is the first album to not only feature lead singer Lacey Sturm's vocals, but also the vocals of guitarist Sameer Bhattacharya and bassist Pat Seals. As always, Sturm's vocals sound great, with catchy melodies and adding great falsetto parts that are part of her signature sound. Bhattacharya and Seal's vocals, featured on songs like "New Horizons" and "Saving Grace" make a cool contrast, although I think the band could have been more creative with the guys' vocals. The lyrics are well written. The album features songs like "Fire Fire", which I think is written about a father's abuse; "Cage On The Ground" deals with a performer feeling trapped in the "machine"; "Bury Your Heart", written about a rich businessman, and is along the lines of the Biblical "Why gain the world and lose your soul" passage.

"New Horizons", in my opinion, is as good as the two albums the preceded it. Like the previous two albums Flyleaf released, the listener does not get much of a chance to use the "skip" button; every track on the album is great to listen to. Although "New Horizons" is filled with just as much emotion that Sturm and the band express so well, the album does seem to feature a smaller number of heavy guitar riffs than the band's self-titled or "Memento Mori" albums. If this album was lost or stolen, I would definitely go and buy it again.

xTony111
    I feel like the band won't be the same without her. Flyleaf without Lacey is like Paramore without Haley Williams or Maroon 5 without Adam Levine. Hopefully the new singer will be up to par, she was one of the few/good female vocalists in rock.
    EpiExplorer
    When you speak to a 12 year old girl about metal, they think of this.
    EyesWideOpen
    Do you speak to many 12 year old girls?
    EpiExplorer
    Its part of my job description as a translator for the ancient dead language of Eteocypriot that I frequently talk to random people on the street for no reason at all. Thats where the money's at these days.
    SocksAndTrees
    This really shouldn't be labeled at metal, don't get me wrong, I like Flyleaf, but it seems like more of a pop-rock act.
    vppark2
    This is not even close to metal haha Lacey sounds more suited as a country star, or Sheryl Crowe or Alanis Morissette-type music.
    BwareDWare94
    It's too bad to see her go. She was really raw at first, hard to listen to at times, but her voice is so unique that I've always given this band's albums a listen. It sucks to see her go hearing how polished she's become on this record.
    vismbr
    I'm a big fan of their debut album, i think the new album is abit overproduced.
    Musician4Jesus
    Genre-wise, the song New Horizons isn't a good example necessarily of the rest of the cd.
    ibanez124
    I just want to know who keeps financing this band, they may want their money back
    crazyjay14
    luckily she's leaving the band, cuz with a song like horizon's , they'd all better be looking for another job