Critically Ashamed review by FM Static

• Released: Aug 1, 2006
FM Static: Critically Ashamed

If you're expecting a CD of 12 songs loaded with riffs like in "What Are You Waiting For?" you may be disappointed with a few of the songs. Trevor (McNevan) and Steve (Augustine) definetly brought a relatively softer, less energetic sound to this album than their debut. This album, musically, is toned down and has several more calm, more serious songs such as "Six Candles" and "Nice Piece of Art". There are, however, many songs where they bring catchy riffs and sounds that you'd expect out of these guys. The CD opens with the song "Flop Culture" which is in my opinion one of the best of the album.

You'd think Trevor couldn't beat the lines like "I feel like it's teenage hunting season" from "What Are You Waiting For?" but he does, in a huge way. Instead of sticking with the teenage lifestyle pattern, the band changed their focus entirely. "Critically Ashamed" is, as you might guess from the title, an attack on pop culture. It becomes evident with the first track "Flop Culture" asking you repeatedly "Can you tell me what happened to Michael Jackson / and MTV trading music for acting / Avril Lavigne's on the cover of Maxim". The assault doesnt't stop there, though. "The Next Big Thing" describes a musician's rise to prominence and America's obsession with popularity. "America's Next Freak" continues the attack with a satire of all of the different genres of music and the focus on the new and strange. Don't think that all they focus on is Pop Culture, though. Many other songs focus on more serious topics, such as "Six Candles" and "Tonight". then you have the songs that make you remember the songs from FM Static's debut, the catchy lyrics and creative analogies. "The Video Store" is, in my opinion tied with "Flop Culture" for the best on the CD, where Trevor talks about meeting a girl in a video store (it got bonus points for the line "don't wanna end up like my man Fred Durst cause he did it all for the nookie").

Overall this CD was on a level you'd expect from FM Static. It was catchy, it was funny, and it made you think. This CD will make you laugh, cry and jump up and down with energy. In terms of sarcastic CDs, it's up there with "Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right but Three Lefts Do" by Relient K. Definetly a feel good sound designed for when you need a break from the stresses of life, a sound that's infectious and catchy, with lyrics that bring out an entire arsenal of emotions. I'd buy it again over most anything else, just because it has everything.

xthpsgodx
    I thought it was pretty good as well but my problems lie with the pop culture references. In 2 or 3 years when people don't remember nookie (some high school kids pry already don't) and avril lavigne this album will feel very out of touch. It's good now but this is gonna keep it from being a "classic".
    relientkrock
    Actually its two lefts dont make a right, but three do. Anyways I love FM Static and their lyrics
    mattb91
    Hey I tabbed out the last track: Moment of Truth! the whole song is just Db, Bb, Gb, Ab.
    PJ-thomas
    really interesting rewview. i think I'm gonna listen to it the next time i'm in a record store. thanks
    Learn_to_fly
    What about Mmhmm, which is in my opinion leagues better than Two Lefts..., but who cares, totally off the topic. Yeah well, FM Static are alright, I'll check this out...
    DNTMX
    he isn't saying the "two lefts..." is good or bad. He is saying that it is SARCASTIC, and MMHMM is not sarcastic AT ALL! so I have no clue where you pulled that from?