Critically Ashamed Review

Genres: Rock
 8.6
 8.1
Critically Ashamed Reviewed by: jdreed08, on august 09, 2006

Sound: If you're expecting a CD of 12 songs loaded with riffs like in "What Are You Waiting For?" you may be disappointed with a few of the songs. Trevor (McNevan) and Steve (Augustine) definetly brought a relatively softer, less energetic sound to this album than their debut. This album, musically, is toned down and has several more calm, more serious songs such as "Six Candles" and "Nice Piece of Art". There are, however, many songs where they bring catchy riffs and sounds that you'd expect out of these guys. The CD opens with the song "Flop Culture" which is in my opinion one of the best of the album. // 8

Lyrics: You'd think Trevor couldn't beat the lines like "I feel like it's teenage hunting season" from "What Are You Waiting For?" but he does, in a huge way. Instead of sticking with the teenage lifestyle pattern, the band changed their focus entirely. "Critically Ashamed" is, as you might guess from the title, an attack on pop culture. It becomes evident with the first track "Flop Culture" asking you repeatedly "Can you tell me what happened to Michael Jackson / and MTV trading music for acting / Avril Lavigne's on the cover of Maxim". The assault doesnt't stop there, though. "The Next Big Thing" describes a musician's rise to prominence and America's obsession with popularity. "America's Next Freak" continues the attack with a satire of all of the different genres of music and the focus on the new and strange. Don't think that all they focus on is Pop Culture, though. Many other songs focus on more serious topics, such as "Six Candles" and "Tonight". then you have the songs that make you remember the songs from FM Static's debut, the catchy lyrics and creative analogies. "The Video Store" is, in my opinion tied with "Flop Culture" for the best on the CD, where Trevor talks about meeting a girl in a video store (it got bonus points for the line "don't wanna end up like my man Fred Durst cause he did it all for the nookie"). // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this CD was on a level you'd expect from FM Static. It was catchy, it was funny, and it made you think. This CD will make you laugh, cry and jump up and down with energy. In terms of sarcastic CDs, it's up there with "Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right but Three Lefts Do" by Relient K. Definetly a feel good sound designed for when you need a break from the stresses of life, a sound that's infectious and catchy, with lyrics that bring out an entire arsenal of emotions. I'd buy it again over most anything else, just because it has everything. // 9

Critically Ashamed Reviewed by: shugo449, on december 28, 2006

Sound: FM Static has a sound similar to that of Fall Out Boy, but instead of crapping up the air waves, their songs are catchy, and have actual beat. Also, these guys have catchy solos similar to those on the to most recent Rise Against CDs. They don't sound like Rise Against, just the Solos do. I would compare their sound and style is similar Relient K with better solos. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics by this guy; I think his name is Trevor, has some funny lyrics. Like Relient K, they're a satirical chistian band that has done succesful in the mainstream. These words are laugh out loud funny. Take "America's next Freak" for example "This songs for the emo kids with the punk-rock, rockabilly screamo lids/And the crunk-rock, hip-hop and metal queens/Who still don't know what the heck that means/Lets cheer for the real MCs/All the east west 30 sound straight OGs/With the hippy rock hardcore alt countries/with the techno industrial magazine." See? Very, very funny. As well as that, none of the lyrics sing of despair and hate. // 10

Overall Impression: FM static is a good change from normal hateful pop-punk bands. If you want a light-hearted, funny Cd, get Critically Ashamed. The best songs are probably "Flop Culture", "America's next Freak", "The Video Store" "Tonight" and "Girl Of The Year". I like their sound a lot and how they can just have fun with music and don't have to be famous. If I lost this, I would buty it again. FM Static, which was originally a side project by the singer and drummer of Thosand Foot Crutch, is a good christian alternative and I recomend you check it out. // 8

Comments