Back And Forth [DVD] review by Foo Fighters

• Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Foo Fighters: Back And Forth [DVD]

"Back And Forth" is an absolute killer rock doco. It tracks the entirety of the Foo Fighters' muscial life, and it strikes a nice balance between the band members and the music. Visually and audio-wise, this documentary kicks it. The editing is amazing, particularly in the build up to their show at Wembley, where performances of "The Pretender" are cut together from a variety of shows, each getting bigger with each cut. It was extremely effective way to show how big they got. Whilst I personally would have preferred to see a little more of the bands dynamics, it still gives a good sense of the way the band works and how they create their music.

Content — 9
"Back And Forth", as I said earlier, covers the whole of the Foo Fighters' musical history. It skims over some parts of the band's history that I personally would have preferred to see more of, but there were some really telling moments where the editing told the story. Dave's humour in the interviews throughout break up some of the serious moments and help to bring his personality into the film. One of the key things that you come away with is that the Foo Fighters is less a group of people working together and more an extension of each band member's personality, which I like to see.

Production Quality — 10
Again, the quality of this film is above reproach. It sounds awesome and it looks awesome. I really can't fault it. The editing (whilst not really belonging in the production quality section) is really well done, and is a real credit to James Moll and the whole production team. He has presented a raw insight into one of the world's great rock bands, and has done their story a real justice.

"Back And Forth" is a must-see for any Foo Fighters fan, or for that matter, any music fan. It doesn't matter if the Foo Fighters aren't really your thing - anyone can share the highs and lows that made this band what it is today and enjoy a quality piece of film-making in the process.

Devlin1885
    my mate took me to the wrong cinema twice in one night so i missed the first 45 mins any ideas as to if/when it will be released on dvd?
    Shawn1379
    Oh, and nice review. I thought it was a bit short, yet still quite detailed, and from what I saw of this documentary, it seems like you hit the nail on the head with every point you made.
    P.B.
    i saw it in theatre, it was great, learn't alot about the foos, how they work, and thier history.
    JJ1990
    I have to say I was totally fascinated by the entire documentary. Although there were some things I couldn't fully agree with. Especially with the desbelief and not understanding of the two members who were kicked, the previous drummer and guitarist. Even in the documantary they still didn't understand why they were kicked out. Couldn't say that Dave fully solved that although I understand it's difficult. But throughout the entire DVD and especially at the end of it, I only could conclude one thing: This band isn't done evolving.
    ahigs
    @Devlin1885 Mate that's unlucky. I'm sure it will be released on DVD soon enough. If you're in Australia, it's playing on Foxtel's On Demand service, but if you're not, I guess you'll have to wait till June 14th. @Shawn1379 Cheers bro! I couldn't spen too long writing it, it was replaying and I wanted to watch it again... @JJ1990 True that it was fascinating. I agree that more coverage was needed for those parts. They really skimmed over it IMO, and then all of a sudden, he's back for Wasting Light. Unfortunate, but I guess that's the way the directors/Dave wanted it. Absolutely agree - there is a lot left in the band yet.