Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace review by Foo Fighters

• Released: Sep 24, 2007
Foo Fighters: Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

Probably the Foo's most musically technical album to date. Most of the CD comprises of a good solid rock sound for which they have been trademarked over the years. In my opinion they have redefined their "sound" once again as they do with every album which I think is one of the reasons their such an exciting band. However in several parts of the album, bouncy, slightly pop/punk rhythms appear reminiscent of their earlier work. The guitar work is easily their best to date with more complex riffing and a better variation of tones and techniques than we've heard before. I think Shiflett probably made more of a contribution this time round to acheive this. Drums and bass are solid as usual often serving as the power that drives grohls riffs and brings the songs to loud life. New musical turns for the Foo's on this album include use of piano on some songs and also their first instrumental track to date, which they dedicated to the beaconsfield miners.

Haven't paid too much attention to all of the lyrics yet but they all fit the songs well and from my impression of songs such as cheer up boys, seem very uplifting and inspiring/positive lyrics. Only slightly bad point is they can get a bit repetitive in some songs such as Let It Die, Come Alive. Grohl's voice is amazing as usual with a good variation from soft and hard tones and from melodic singing to aggressive shouting as showcased in single The Pretender. His voice accompanies the music perfectly in my opinion and maybe his best performance to date.

In my opinion no one sounds like the Foo Fighters as I beleive their sound (although constantly changing) is always unique, but compared to other Foo's albums I rank this very near the top along with Colour And The Shape and Nothing Left To Lose. My favourite songs are bound to change as they always do with the Foo's but atm I'd say Stranger Things have Happened, Erase/Replace, Cheer Up Boys, and Summer's End are the most impressive after a few listens to the album but then again I think their all damn good. If Album were stolen/lost I would definately fork out for another copy!

Callo
    how good r the foo fighters! this albums up there i rekon... a cupple of hits 2
    James_Calalo
    to be honest i already got a copy of this album through bittorrent but i still bought an original copy of the record its your average foo's record great songwriting from the band
    Nexu
    hadookin
    Nexu wrote: I like this album but i hope they ont release Long Road To Ruin like im hearing they're meant to be.
    yeh it's shame, its a weak track, its defo gonna be released...
    Nexu
    I hope they dont release Long Road To Ruin as the next single like im hearing they will. This album is very good though!
    Nirvana388
    can't wait to pick this up today, pretty good price too, it's like 12 bucks at music world, gonna listen to it all night long!
    │BassBOY│
    I love allot of foo fighter's song's and I love it even more for some of them are easy to learn on bass.
    anthonygrohl
    Personally I think dave and the foofighters can do no wrong! As a long time fan of the band, I'm currently in two minds. I can't help but think that ESPG is a fork in the road for the guys. I perceive it as, it's the album that they've always wanted to make! without the concerns of records sales and market trends. There's a feeling of heart and souls in this one. I think that they've stepped out of the rhelms of what they're most recognised for. GRUNGE ROCK! I don't see this as a brave move, but more it's the bands manifesto towards their love for music. Well done guys! I'll continue to have it on high rotation. purely because it's a beautiful album!!! Lyrically and musically.
    Blusto
    Foo Fighters are great! I hope this album will be successful.
    TBezza
    seventyXseven wrote: the album is so ridiculously slow its painful
    ??? Starts off slow, goes fast, slow, fast. Never painful tho.
    TBezza
    TheThesTony wrote: Dave Grohl = the devil (tenacious d reference)
    hadookin
    MAYNARD wrote: The new album is basically In Your Honor condensed to one disc.
    yeh, i can see where your coming from. though, there better songs on this album i.e. come alive
    cammo_1234
    ESPG IS A GOD-DAMN SEXY ALBUM!!!! AND I GOT A FREE T-SHIRT WITH IT!!! AAAHHHHH
    Anarchy_Ant
    Pretty gutted...but i'm really dissapointed in this album =\. It seems really weak and feels like it drags on. I do like Let it Die and of course The Pretender (Which i loved and thus thought this album was gonna ROCK)...maybe i set my sights too high..
    swaxq321
    i love this album long time, i can't stop listening to let it die, easily the best track on the album. Every songs great though. I like the way its brought chris shiflet out more in the guitar solos too. The solo in long road to ruin is awesome, i wudnt mind that as a single. But seeing as i don't care bout singles its all good anyway =D now im jus waiting for sum1 2 tab out half the songs on here
    The Rev Rules
    All those people who dont like it that much; Listen to it more. It grows on you. I love it. Everything on it
    gajzler
    As someone said, the album is a kind of slow... I think that they have lost some of their beat... But overall, it is a good album! (Sorry for the bad enlish!)
    guitaringsailor
    going to get it as soon as i got the money kind of broke since my last trip to the music store =P foo fighters rock!!!!!
    hadookin
    Shuk wrote: I'm addicted to Let It Die and Come Alive now!
    amen to that! + stranger things also a little bit.
    thorg
    ive been a huge foo fighters fan for awhile and i think their sound is just getting stale. while its still a good cd, i think its time for them to take a step in another direction
    thorg
    lilboisX3
    JMXW
    thorg wrote: ive been a huge foo fighters fan for awhile, but i just think that their sound is getting stale. while i still like the cd, it doesnt stand out too much and i think its time for them to take a step in a different direction
    They are taking a step in a different direction. Have you heard the album even? It has lots of different time signatures, some jazz-ish guitar, guitar solos, some bluegrass technique. They definitely are.
    lilboisX3 wrote: i just wanna know if this CD is worth the money. i want to know if it has a grip of slow songs and a lack of rockers?
    Yes. Definitely.
    andrewofhackney
    dave grohl is god, foo fighters are amazing. BUT the album isnt what i expected. there really is not enough of the foo spirit on this album. you guys member One by One and The Colour and the Shape. most of the songs on those were RWOCK ON YEH! songs, most on this new one are soft acoustics. not what foos do best, dont get me wrong they do it good, but they do hard rock even better. the best even. i wish they wuda stuck to the old ways!!! all foos albums are great, but this comes near the bottom of the greatness, Colour + Shape and One by One are at the top.
    Foo_Master
    best album i've heard in a long time, i just keep listening to it over and over and over again!!! this album is much better than in your honor, and is easily one of their best. i hope they keep rock alive for very long time and come to So. Fl again. WOO!!! YEAH!!! FOO FIGHTER FRICKIN' ROCK!!!
    gitarzero89
    "The Pretender" is a good song, i'd like to hear the next single. I haven't listened to the whole album, and I don't think I'll buy it. But i will always love The Colour and the Shape, I doubt they'll ever match it but they've come pretty close so far.
    Longy91
    yeh agree with all the reviews, the album is one of their best (tho all are pretty good :p) stranger things have heppened, come alive,Let it die, erase replace...watch out 4 those ones...their up there with everlong!
    [[.:jess:.]]
    Let It Die is such a good song, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it became a single. I'm really impressed with the ballad they made for the miners, it just proves that not only the Foo Fighters are an amazing band, but that they're also dedicated to they're listeners.
    zepp_girl*
    Just bought it, and really enjoying it so far. Met Dave and Taylor on Friday. It was awesome.
    letsgetrockin82
    Wow they are amazing this album is so creative i cant believe they can still put out this good of stuff.Rock On Foo Fighters