Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace review by Foo Fighters

• Released: Sep 24, 2007
Foo Fighters: Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

I've never bought a Foo Fighters album before this one, and I must say that I am very impressed. I expected mindless power-chord orientated rock (not a dig at Nirvana, by the way), but what I was greeted by was beautiful harmonies and surprising combinations of music styles. The opening track ("The Pretender") shows signs of the sound that The Foo Fighters based themselves around but starts with something that sounds to me kinda like Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box" (perhaps that's just me, I don't know). There are breaks in the song that show evidence of rhythm and blue, which surprised me even more. The even balance or heavy rock and acoustics on this album captures you extremely well. I never expected there to be any acoustic songs on this album, so to hear it was a very fresh surprise (yeah, it's a very surprising album).

There isn't a lot of creativity shown in the lyrics themselves, but the vocals are beautifully honed by Dave Grohl, as are the backing vocals. I've never been fond of people screaming into microphones, but the Foos carry it off well enough for me to sit and listen through this album. There's not much more to say about the lyrics of this album, overall, they can be like Marmite, awful, tolerable or fantastic to whoever catches a whiff of it. I find them in between tolerable and fantastic, but then again, I'm not the 'heaviest' musician in the world.

I never took much notice of Foo Fighters before I heard anything off here, but now I might consider myself a fan. There are obviously things that could have been done better on this album. Things that I can't seem to put my finger on, but I still know they're there. It's annoying, if you know what I mean. As far as the album goes, there's nothing "annoying" about it. I bought this and Fall Out Boy's "From Under The Cork Tree" at the same time, but I must say that I have listened to this more. It's definitely worth a listen, in my opinion.