Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace review by Foo Fighters

• Released: Sep 24, 2007
Foo Fighters: Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

The Foo Fighters have released a dream come true for me last year. This album is literally amazing, easily my album of the year. I'm pleased to see people giving it good ratings on UG. If Dave Grohl wasn't already a rock legend, then here's the proof that he absolutely is. Their single "The Pretender" is too amazing for words, combining Grohl's hard-hitting vocals, heavy riff guitars, and beat churning drums to create in my opinion the song of the year. They've been around for a while the Foos, and yet they never fail to give you an entertaining listen. They seem to have gone harder, which is good of course. Their songs are filled with energy and unlike a lot of high volume bands, is easy to sing along to. Foo Fighters are probably the most accomplished rock band around at the moment, their sound not only giving entertaining albums, but amazing live performances. A lot of their songs seem to start quiet and mellowing, only to have a very short acoustic interlude only for it to be smashed in the face with heavy guitars and noisy drums. Everything sounds very groundbreaking, in more ways than one. And again, Grohl's grinding vocals add menace to an already hard-hitting monster.

David Grohl seems to have an amazing knack for writing songs and not making them sound absolutely rubbish or make no sense whatsoever. "Pretender" is a very sing-a-long song, not only making you bang your head, but making you scream out "What if I say I'm not like the others, What if I say I'm not just another one, of your plays, your the pretender, What if I say I will never surrender?" As usual Grohl does the acoustic songs of "Home" and "But, Honestly" amazingly well, touching upon themes of love. The lyrics, although not really touching upon something groundbreaking, fit very well with the songs, and don't sound ridiclous or make no sense as is common in so many bands of this style.

"Echoes, Patience and Silence" is my album of the year. It combines acoustic meaningful songs with the heart-pounding riff based songs of "Pretender" and "Let It Die". "Cheer Up Boys Your Make-up Is Running" also becomes one of the highlights, not only for it's humorous title but it's chorus is amazingly well played. The main thing I love about the songs are that they are built up, becoming more and more intense as they progress, and ending in one of Grohl's vocal displays. A great album, and should be getting a lot more recognition than it currently is.

slann101
    cammo_1234 wrote: ESPG IS A GOD-DAMN SEXY ALBUM!!!! AND I GOT A FREE T-SHIRT WITH IT!!! AAAHHHHH
    its not really a free thirt if you have to pay more then the standard album price now is it?