Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Review

Foo Fighters: Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
Release Date: Sept 25, 2007
Genres: Alternative Rock
Label: RCA
Trying out everything from a piano opus to bluegrass on their latest record, the Foo Fighters continue to deliver the goods.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.2
 9.3
 9.1
 1,141
Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Featured review by: UG Team, on september 25, 2007

Sound: If there is quality that defines Dave Grohl, it's consistency. The man who has been seemingly unstoppable since his days in Nirvana has continued to churn out solid rock songs with the Foo Fighters, and his band's latest effort Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace will not be alienating any fans -- even when it does get a tad experimental. Apparently the birth of Grohl's baby made the frontman want to jump back in the studio sooner than usual for mortality reasons, but thankfully the record does not seem like a rushed effort by any means. In fact, the band has shown a new side of itself, bringing out some of their older rock influences along the way.

The Foo Fighters have become just as known for their unplugged sessions as their rock output, and that side to the quartet is highlighted big time on the new album. But what's refreshing is that the band doesn't just go for the usual all-acoustic approach. Piano plays a huge part in the track Home (a song that has a similar feel to The Eagles' low-key The Last Resort), while Come Alive features more of a jazz approach to the guitar sound. Apparently Steely Dan has been an influence to Grohl, and Come Alive actually feels very much like a nod to the Donald Fagen-Walter Becker duo. It's unexpected to hear Grohl phrase his vocals like Fagen, but the man does it beautifully on Come Alive.

The Pretender is the first single off the band's 6th record is by far one of the best, with a smooth transition from a beautiful acoustic introduction intro the band's usual rock sound. Because the song is a bit more subdued in the first few moments, Grohl's vocals pop to the forefront. He sounds better than ever, and that's just a taste of the impressive musicianship that takes place on Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace. The argument could be made that The Pretender has a similar feel to All My Life during the breakdown, but it sounds so good that it's unlikely that they're will be an uprising over it.

Bluegrass even makes an appearance in The Ballad Of The Beaconsfield Miners, which Grohl wrote about the Australian mining tragedy that occurred in 2006. Brant Webb, one of the mine survivors, asked for an iPod full of Foo Fighters' tracks while he waited to be rescued, and an obviously touched Grohl wrote The Ballad Of The Beaconsfield Miners in response. While the song not only proves that Grohl is perhaps one of the coolest, nicest guys in rock, it is musically one of the most impressive tracks. All-instrumental and finger-picked on acoustic, the breathtaking song also features guest performer Kaki King. // 9

Lyrics: While the music has veered in a slightly different direction, the lyrics on Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace still have that familiar Foo Fighters' flavor. The rock songs are often full with fun or cynical plays on words or heavily repeated section at the end to build up intensity, while the slower numbers don't cease to tug at the heart strings. It's that mixture that keeps things interesting throughout the latest album, even if it's something that we're all familiar with at this point. There's just something about the sarcastic line like Did you ever think of me? You're so considerate that makes for an enjoyable listen. // 9

Overall Impression: While the Foo Fighters don't go leaps and bounds out of their comfort zone on Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace, the material they have come up with has enough fresh moments to confirm that band is growing. The fact that Grohl went all-out and put a bluegrass song on the record earns his points in itself. A song like The Ballad Of The Beaconsfield Miners doesn't necessarily scream single, but Grohl wasn't afraid to let the emotional history behind the song lead the way.

There are quite a few slower tracks on the new album, but it's the ones that focus on Grohl's voice and just an acoustic that are the most memorable. There is something extremely raw and emotional in those moments that don't need any other instrumentation to get the point across. But to the millions of people who bought the Foo Fighters' unplugged Skin And Bones CD, that's probably already a known fact. // 9

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Reviewed by: getts182, on september 26, 2007

Sound: I've read a few comments and points stating that Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace is a mix of both sides of In Your Honor. Personally, I have no idea what those people were listening to. Sure, ESP&G has some slower songs, but so has almost every other Foo Fighters album. Some of the songs remind me of The Colour and the Shape's "February Star," being quiet for a while before exploding into a wave of distorted guitars, thumping drums and driving bass. ESP&G is perhaps the best Foo Fighters CD since There is Nothing Left to Lose. There's some good, solid, heavy rock, some down-and-out screamers, and deep, quiet songs. Every one of them is recognizable as a Foo Fighters without sounding just like another Foo Fighters song, a problem found with One by One. The introduction of using piano on the album (setting aside it's use on the acoustic side of In Your Honor) also expands the group's sound into areas not touched upon before, mixing lighter, softer intros and verses before diving into the band's known rock sound. It also seems as if Chris Schifflet may have found his place in the band as well. We've experienced touches of his guitar playing on "The One," on the Skin and Bones DVD, and live in concert, but on ESP&G he lets it rip, playing solos previously unheard on most Foo Fighters songs. Taylor Hawkins, previously credited on In Your Honor as singing lead vocals on "Cold Day in the Sun," now has expanded credit as doing backing vocals on several songs in addition to piano. Their expanded roles have considerably tightened the songs and made them better than any other Foo Fighters release to date. Gil Norton's production is excellent. He's really brought out the best in the band, and this album proves it. These songs sound better than One by One and In Your Honor, and good credit should go to Norton for that. // 9

Lyrics: The band has done remarkably well with the lyrics for ESP&G. Everything seemed to work well in regard to the songs, and nothing seemed out of place. Dave Grohl has always been good with his songs, being able to go from singing to screaming and back again. ESP&G further proves this, from the haunting introduction of "The Pretender" to it's in-your-face verses, and straight up thundering chorus. In contrast, he sings "Home" without the slightest raise of the voice to something that seems out of place. It's unfortunate that too many bands frontmen feel the need to scream a verse out that's accompanied by an acoustic guitar; Grohl knows when to do what, and isn't afraid to let his singing voice shine and let his screamer let loose on the next song, where it's more appropriate. // 9

Overall Impression: In all reality, the Foo Fighters are in a league of their own. Formed in 1995 with a foot in the door of the grunge scene, they are a long-standing band who has survived changes in popular music, has a strong fan base, and manages to still sell a boatload of albums. Every previous studio album has managed to go platinum, and though it probably won't happen overnight, ESP&G is likely to do the same. Every song manages to impress, from the soft to the loud, the most thought-out lyrical line to the lyricless beauty of "Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners." After 12 years as a group and from previous experiences, the Foo Fighters know what they're doing, and even when stepping outside of the box, they manage to impress. This is an album to love. If lost, stolen, or broken, I'd get it again. In fact, if ESP&G continues to impress as it initially did, this may be my stocking-stuffer for friends come Christmastime. // 10

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Reviewed by: RRRUBEN, on september 25, 2007

Sound: So I have preordered this album (it has yet to come out). But with the preorder I got a single off the album "The Pretender." I have listened to Foo Fighters for about ten years, or since I was three. But as the band progressed they became softer with a lot less "Grunge" style in their music. This dissapointed me. So after the single was downloaded I listened to it it say, 15 maybe 20 times, and I'm so glad to hear that they are going back to their roots. After "In your Honor" I thought for sure my favorite band of all time was going soft on me. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are, unsurprisingly, amazing as always. Dave Grohl never ceases to come up with some of the most meaningful and original lyrics. The overall mood of the song fits perfectly with the meaning and tone of the lyrics. Dave's voice is spectacular. He's always been my favorite singer in the rock/grunge genre. I do not think there is one thing he could do to improve his voice, it's flawless. // 10

Overall Impression: If I had to compare this single to any other single from another album I would have to say "The Pretender" rises above the rest. When it comes to what I love and what I hate it's simple, it is pure love, there is absolutly nothing I hate or even dislike about this song.If this new album lives up to the originality the single, were in for possibly the best Foo Fighter Album to date. At the time I'm writing this there is no date for release yet, but man am I, and every other Foo fan dreaming about the moment this albums Amazingness touches our ears. // 9

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Reviewed by: Farether, on september 25, 2007

Sound: Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace is the 6th studio album of the Foo's and I love the sound of it, it has some nice peacefull songs on it but also some heavier stuff. I especialy like the often soft start of a song and the hard chorus. They sound just like I expected but you can hear some slight change in the sound of the Foo Fighters. // 10

Lyrics: Just as usually Dave sings as the best, I really like the lyrics 'cause they make the songs sound even better his voice really makes the music come even more alive. The lyrics fit perfect to the melodie and sound of every song. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a CD that fits perfectly in the CD collection of the Foo Fighters. I bassicaly like every song on the album but I just bought it so I can't really say what's my favourite song, however I really like 'The Pretender' 'cause it just sound right! And the song I don't like very much is 'Ballas Of The Beaconsfield Miners' because it's an instrumental acoustic song and I just miss Dave's voice. I would definatly buy it again if it were broken! // 9

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Reviewed by: IRONMAN_304, on september 25, 2007

Sound: Probably the Foo's most musically technical album to date. Most of the CD comprises of a good solid rock sound for which they have been trademarked over the years. In my opinion they have redefined their "sound" once again as they do with every album which I think is one of the reasons their such an exciting band. However in several parts of the album, bouncy, slightly pop/punk rhythms appear reminiscent of their earlier work. The guitar work is easily their best to date with more complex riffing and a better variation of tones and techniques than we've heard before. I think Shiflett probably made more of a contribution this time round to acheive this. Drums and bass are solid as usual often serving as the power that drives grohls riffs and brings the songs to loud life. New musical turns for the Foo's on this album include use of piano on some songs and also their first instrumental track to date, which they dedicated to the beaconsfield miners. // 10

Lyrics: Haven't paid too much attention to all of the lyrics yet but they all fit the songs well and from my impression of songs such as cheer up boys, seem very uplifting and inspiring/positive lyrics. Only slightly bad point is they can get a bit repetitive in some songs such as Let It Die, Come Alive. Grohl's voice is amazing as usual with a good variation from soft and hard tones and from melodic singing to aggressive shouting as showcased in single The Pretender. His voice accompanies the music perfectly in my opinion and maybe his best performance to date. // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion no one sounds like the Foo Fighters as I beleive their sound (although constantly changing) is always unique, but compared to other Foo's albums I rank this very near the top along with Colour And The Shape and Nothing Left To Lose. My favourite songs are bound to change as they always do with the Foo's but atm I'd say Stranger Things have Happened, Erase/Replace, Cheer Up Boys, and Summer's End are the most impressive after a few listens to the album but then again I think their all damn good. If Album were stolen/lost I would definately fork out for another copy! // 10

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Reviewed by: MiniMusicMasta, on september 26, 2007

Sound: First, do the Foos really need an introduction? In case anyone doesnt't know, when Nirvana ended so to speak, Dave Grohl (drummer) got muscially bored and did what no one expected him to do: make a new band. The rest is history. Anyways, this is the guys 6th album, and it has a much more mature, mellow sound than other Foos record. When In Your Honour was made, Dave wanted acoustic, but most of it was dribble that no one really listened to. However, THe Foos have on this record combined to perfection the dynamics of acoustic and balls out rock. I believe Gil Norton produced this record (the guy who did Colour And Shape with them). Sounds really well mixed and like I said before, much more mature. // 9

Lyrics: Dave is known for making some fantastic lyrics, especially on anthemic songs like Everlong, Best Of You and Monkey Wrench. On this record, Dave sings these lyrics as convincingly as he did on TCATS. Everyone knows he is one of the most accomplished and well known frontmen in rock, and god does he desrve it. // 9

Overall Impression: The Foos are their own band so you can't really compare them to anyone else really. Amazing Band. Amazing talent. There are some stand out songs on this album for me, including 'Erase/Replace', 'Let It Die', 'Cheer Up Boys', 'Come Alive' and of course the amazing lead single, 'The Pretender'. I love the way this album combines the atmospheric acoustic side of the Foos, but still has their classic all out rock sound. Fantastic record. Buy it. // 10

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Reviewed by: GuItAr_LeGeNd44, on october 15, 2007

Sound: With the release of the single 'The Pretender' coming out before the actual album, Foo Fighters were suggesting returning back to their much rockier roots of 'Nothing Left to Lose'. The album however contains some more 'mellow tracks' which sound a bit out of place with likes of 'Erase/Replace' and 'The Pretender'. Even if this is the case the sound on this album is phenominal. Dave Grohl is at his peak on vocals and so are the rest of band. // 9

Lyrics: As ever, Dave Grohl has created a lyrical masterpiece. He can simply write anything and make it sound good. The lyrics have a much deeper feel than on albums like 'In Your Honour' or 'One By One'. His lyrics are as tight as ever and so is his voice. How ever, I think the faact Taylor Hawkin's(Drummers) singing as well as drumming may have affected the quality of his drumming on this album. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this is album is that it is a musical masterpiece. So what if we didn't get the new rockier sounding Foo's that we were all hyped up about before. What we got was still an insanely awesome piece of musical engineering. Foo Fighters are back on top. // 9

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Reviewed by: Zapfire, on october 17, 2007

Sound: The new record from the Foo Fighters will not disapoint anyone. Fans of their music will continue to praise them, as the band sounds better than ever. It is amazing how a year or so of acoustics has toned Dave Grohl's voice so nicely. He sounds better than he ever has on both the screaming hard rock ballads and the low, quiet songs. The guitar work is much better than what you would expect from the Foo Fighters as both Grohl and Shifflet play some cool inspiring riffs and melodies. Not to leave out the drum and bass, I would say that Taylor and Nate both also sound very good on the new record, the bass and drums add some nice sound to the songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics astounded me on the record. By far they are the most powerful and inspiring lyrics I have heard in a long time. Following the birth of Grohl's baby it is almost obvious how ready he was to put another record together. You will find everything from soft quiet lyrics to grungy, loud screaming vocals. The lyrics in songs like "The Pretender" and "Let it Die" really show off Dave's songwriting prowess. On the other hand, sometimes the lyrics can become somewhat repetitive at some points which can ruin the fell at certain points, but that is not that big of an issue on this album. They really impressed me in this field. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is amazing, I have listened to it over and over and it continues to amaze me. The Foo Fighters poured their hearts and souls into this album and it payed off. The combination of their lyrics and music on this record are astounding. Great Job by the Foo Fighters, and if you don't have this yet, buy it soon. // 10

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Reviewed by: belavista man, on january 05, 2008

Sound: I've never bought a Foo Fighters album before this one, and I must say that I am very impressed. I expected mindless power-chord orientated rock (not a dig at Nirvana, by the way), but what I was greeted by was beautiful harmonies and surprising combinations of music styles. The opening track ("The Pretender") shows signs of the sound that The Foo Fighters based themselves around but starts with something that sounds to me kinda like Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box" (perhaps that's just me, I don't know). There are breaks in the song that show evidence of rhythm and blue, which surprised me even more. The even balance or heavy rock and acoustics on this album captures you extremely well. I never expected there to be any acoustic songs on this album, so to hear it was a very fresh surprise (yeah, it's a very surprising album). // 9

Lyrics: There isn't a lot of creativity shown in the lyrics themselves, but the vocals are beautifully honed by Dave Grohl, as are the backing vocals. I've never been fond of people screaming into microphones, but the Foos carry it off well enough for me to sit and listen through this album. There's not much more to say about the lyrics of this album, overall, they can be like Marmite, awful, tolerable or fantastic to whoever catches a whiff of it. I find them in between tolerable and fantastic, but then again, I'm not the 'heaviest' musician in the world. // 8

Overall Impression: I never took much notice of Foo Fighters before I heard anything off here, but now I might consider myself a fan. There are obviously things that could have been done better on this album. Things that I can't seem to put my finger on, but I still know they're there. It's annoying, if you know what I mean. As far as the album goes, there's nothing "annoying" about it. I bought this and Fall Out Boy's "From Under The Cork Tree" at the same time, but I must say that I have listened to this more. It's definitely worth a listen, in my opinion. // 9

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Reviewed by: mikespread88, on january 10, 2008

Sound: The Foo Fighters have released a dream come true for me last year. This album is literally amazing, easily my album of the year. I'm pleased to see people giving it good ratings on UG. If Dave Grohl wasn't already a rock legend, then here's the proof that he absolutely is. Their single "The Pretender" is too amazing for words, combining Grohl's hard-hitting vocals, heavy riff guitars, and beat churning drums to create in my opinion the song of the year. They've been around for a while the Foos, and yet they never fail to give you an entertaining listen. They seem to have gone harder, which is good of course. Their songs are filled with energy and unlike a lot of high volume bands, is easy to sing along to. Foo Fighters are probably the most accomplished rock band around at the moment, their sound not only giving entertaining albums, but amazing live performances. A lot of their songs seem to start quiet and mellowing, only to have a very short acoustic interlude only for it to be smashed in the face with heavy guitars and noisy drums. Everything sounds very groundbreaking, in more ways than one. And again, Grohl's grinding vocals add menace to an already hard-hitting monster. // 10

Lyrics: David Grohl seems to have an amazing knack for writing songs and not making them sound absolutely rubbish or make no sense whatsoever. "Pretender" is a very sing-a-long song, not only making you bang your head, but making you scream out "What if I say I'm not like the others, What if I say I'm not just another one, of your plays, your the pretender, What if I say I will never surrender?" As usual Grohl does the acoustic songs of "Home" and "But, Honestly" amazingly well, touching upon themes of love. The lyrics, although not really touching upon something groundbreaking, fit very well with the songs, and don't sound ridiclous or make no sense as is common in so many bands of this style. // 9

Overall Impression: "Echoes, Patience and Silence" is my album of the year. It combines acoustic meaningful songs with the heart-pounding riff based songs of "Pretender" and "Let It Die". "Cheer Up Boys Your Make-up Is Running" also becomes one of the highlights, not only for it's humorous title but it's chorus is amazingly well played. The main thing I love about the songs are that they are built up, becoming more and more intense as they progress, and ending in one of Grohl's vocal displays. A great album, and should be getting a lot more recognition than it currently is. // 10

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Reviewed by: rocksheretostay, on january 23, 2008

Sound: This has got to be the Foo Fighters best album yet. There really is no way to describe the different sounds of the album other than to compare it to a movie soundtrack. This album has so many different types of music incorporated into it that you can actually this to just this one Foo's album and recognize their progression from the first to their last album. // 10

Lyrics: The first single has some of the most inspirational lyrics around today, with dave grohl belting out the chorus lines 'What if I say I'm not like the others, what if I say I'm not just another one?' showing how the Foo Fighters have strived to stay away from mainstream society today. Let It Die starts off with a nice, soft, easy tone and melodramatic lyrics until halfway through the song when you suddenly have this in your face bridge sarcastically saying, 'Do you ever think of me? Your so considerate' Then there's Cheer Up Boys (Your Makeup is Running) with it's chorus screaming (There's a world out there, Don't you deny me) which talk about the feeling of being denyed all your hopes and dreams you have and how no one will give you a chance. Dave Grohl certainly took his time writing these lyrics and it definately shows. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best FF album to date. While it's true that some diehard Foo Fighter fans who want an album similiar to The Colour and The Shape will be turned off by this album because it is a much more unique sound than their previous albums, for anyone who wants to start listening to one of the last true rock bands around or any Foo Fighters fan with an open mind, this is the album for you. From the catchiest riffs imaginable, the stories behind some of the songs(Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners), and the most meaningful lyrics around, this is the best album of the year. If you enjoyed either disc of In Your Honor then this album is for you. // 10

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 08, 2008

Sound: Dave Grohl has done it again! From Nirvana to the Foo Fighters, this immortal man is finishing the work of my hero, Kurt Cobain. This is probably the most successful FF album. I only like 3 songs from it, but it is probably their best work. The song that helped it's success is "The Pretender." It topped the modern rock chart and made a record of 18 weeks at the top. It's fun to listen to and play. Awesome music by the Foos. I think Dave should dedicate this band to Kurt Cobain. // 8

Lyrics: Dave's vocals are amazing! He still has a bit of screaming left in him from "Best of You." I am talking of course about "The Pretender." But I also like "Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners", dedicated to the Beaconsfield mine collapse, and "Long Road to Ruin." Chris's guitar is awesome, and Taylor's drumming can't match Dave's, but it's still pretty good. // 10

Overall Impression: I call the Foo Fighters grunge. They're probably behind only Nirvana and Pearl Jam for best Grunge Band Ever. This album won Best Rock Album at the Grammys, and "The Pretender" won Best Hard Rock Performance. I was so mad when it lost to Amy Winehouse's "Rehab." She doesn't deserve to win anything. Drunken sonofabitch. Best songs are The Pretender, Ballad of Beaconsfield Miners, and Long Road to Ruin. This album rocks! // 9

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Reviewed by: josco999, on march 15, 2008

Sound: Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace is a great addition to the Foo Fighters collection. It combines the hard-rocking fast beats in some of the tracks like "Cheer up Boys (Your Make-up is Running)" with the slower and more music oriented tracks like "STranger Things Have Happened" and makes them into what we have come to know as traditional Foo Fighters. I especially enjoyed the range of tracks from Hard Rock to a lighter rock all the way to a bluegrass guitar tune with no words called "Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners". Dave Groehl and the band are known as the masters of taking a slower beginning and turning it into a hard rock song, but their pieces of just the hard stuff or just the hard stuff do well alone too. // 9

Lyrics: I think in some of the songs, like the harder rocking ones, the lyricism may not be considered the best. In the songs however, like "Home" or "Stranger Things Have Happened", if you realy listen to the lyrics you can feel that they actually have some meaning behind them. To me, evn though all of the slow-moving length of "Home" can be hard to sit through, the lyricism is very evident and that's what makes the song just barely worthyof such a great band. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of my favorite recent CD purchases and if my friend Migui never gives it back, I think I'll have to kill him. I loe this CD because of its variety of tracks and if you heard two of the songs, you wouldn't even guess they were by the same band, let alon on the same cd. So if you don't mind I'm just gonna go stare at the sun and wait for "Summer's End". // 8

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace Reviewed by: dawgzfan66, on december 23, 2010

Sound: This album sounds amazing and is my favorite album of the Foo's. The sound ranges from the incredibly heavy "The Pretender" to the amazingly gentle "Home". This is one of those albums that you can listen to the whole way through and thoroughly enjoy every last minute of it. And the progression from 'the calm' into 'the heavy' in epic songs such as "Let It Die" and "Come Alive". Be prepared to be humming "Cheer Up, Boys(Your Make Up Is Running)" for the rest of your life. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics fit perfectly with each song: lyrics that really touch the heart and hit home for calm songs and beast lyrics for those heavy songs that remind you why these guys top the charts. You hear "Ballad Of The Beaconsfield Minors" and think 'why?'. Look up why they wrote the song and you'll be with it and love 100%. Grohl does a phenomenal job of writing meaningful lyrics. Especially the line in "Home" where Grohl says 'some of them living, some of them dead': Is it possibly an alliteration to Kurt Cobain's death and a notification of remembrance? Things to make listeners think. Fantastic. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my, and plenty of other's, favorite albums. And if you don't believe me, just take a gander at all the awards it has won. Grammys as far as the eye can see. Every song on this album is amazing. I can't narrow it down to a few good songs. Theres nothing to hate and everything to love. Buy this album. Now. // 10

Comments