Foo Fighters review by Foo Fighters

• Released: Jun 26, 1995
Foo Fighters: Foo Fighters

Well, as you'd expect, the sound is completely different to say, One by One or In Your Honour, as this album is essentially a demo of dave's songs he wrote during Nirvana. He never knew how big Foo Fighters would become, so obviously this wasn't a huge-production album. I personally love the rawness and spontenuity grunge-sound of the album, though for fans of In Your Honour, who probably expect better production, this may not be for you. If this review was my own opinion I would be giving it 5 stars all round, but trying to be subjective, I'd give the production a 3. However, due to the undeniable diversity of the album (for example the acoustic Big me is followed by the punk rock Alone + Easy Target which is in turn is followed by the almost metal sounding Good Grief) I think this album deserves a 4 for overall sound.

Dave was writing and recording his own songs while Kurt was alive, and the end of Nirvana meant Dave could put more effort into his songs. Although it's sometimes difficult to draw any meaning from the lyrics, dave sings them in such a way, that you don't need to. His voice completely intrigues the listener. One meaning he's singing in a whisper, the next he's screaming like a maniac!

I think the Foo's are such an incredibly consistent and awesome band that all the albums rank at the same level (except In Your Honour, I'd say, is slightly worse than the others) and any song could easily be a single. This album keeps the listener interested from the anthemic first track This Is a Call, right to fuzzy, hypnotic Exhausted. A worthwhile, no... essential listen for any fans of grunge or punk rock. The fans that have only heard Monkey Wrench and All My Life may not be entirely satisfied, but for any other fans I would seriously reccomend investing some time and money into this album. I think of this album more of a Nirvana album than a Foo's one, as that's kinda what it sounds like, yet still has that distinctive something that makes it completely Foos.