In Your Honor review by Foo Fighters

• Released: Jun 14, 2005
Foo Fighters: In Your Honor

Sound is what this album is all about. Taking the sound that the Foo Fighters have perfected over ten years and distilling them into two halves; aggressive and passive, removing all extraneous middle-ground material and showcasing the exact result of Dave's concept of defining the Foo Fighters and what they should be remembered for. The 'Loud' CD is a rolicking collection of eleven rock-out-with-your-cock-out classic Foo anthems with all the fat removed; pure fist-pumping, sweat-inducing power from start to finish. Every song is brilliant, which can feel strange as you think "when am I going to hear the first song I don't like?" Things get better as the second, "not so loud" CD proves to be every bit as enjoyable to listen to as the first. Just in a different way. The time and effort spent producing this album shows through in the gleaming quality of every song and the innovation of separating the rough from the smooth to get the perfect antidote to the hard rocking of the first half in the second. A perfect album for rocking out, then chilling out.

Lyrically this album does not dissapoint, but the lyrics are secondary to the fantastic sound of each track. "It's a shame we have to die, my dear/no-one's getting out of here alive!" is sung with the optimistic and uplifting aproach of 'what-the-hell-ness'. The lyrics fit perfectly to each song as does Dave's guttural roaring and, later, toned down and chilled out purring.

This album is the defining moment of the Foo Fighter's career. Utterly impressive in every way, In Your Honour plays like a greatest hits. It's hard to pick any songs to mark as impressive as you are totally spoiled for choice, each time you try to work out which songs are best you think of the others and realise they are all of equally high standard. I know that sounds like bullshit but it really is true. In Your Honour is an album rare in the fact that I love every song on it. If it was lost or stolen I would happily buy it again and would waste no time in doing so.