In Your Honor review by Foo Fighters

• Released: Jun 14, 2005
Foo Fighters: In Your Honor

The first Foo's song I learned was "Best of You", which is one of my all-time favorites today. I later got this album when I was returning an unopened Offspring CD to a store, and they told me I could swap it for another one. Then I saw it on the shelf, recognized it, and got it. I listened all the way through several times, and realized how much I loved it. There's some great variety of of style of the songs, so to speak. Like the calm but energetic verses, exciting bridges and crazy screaming choruses of Free Me, the catchy tone of No Way Back, and the distorted strumming of Resolve. Grohl rocks my socks.

I think the lyrics are very original and creative, and nearly every line fits very well with the song it comes in. Most of the time you can totally understand what the song is about, like in the tracks In Your Honor, Best of You and The Last Song. Grohl is a musician of three instruments (well, technically, his voice is not an instrument) which I find impressive. His voice varies from the sweet vocals on Virginia Moon to the the hoarse screaming on, well, most of the other tracks. Lurics and singing: absolutely fantastic.

You could never compare Foo Fighters with any other band, by skill, sound or anything else. I don't mean to say that they are superior to all others in these categories, but are just like no other. Unique. I believe that nearly all bands have their own sound, so if you were familiar with a band, and someone plays a song by this band that you haven't heard before, you almost immediately know it's them. The Foo's have a great guitar sound, for example, that's sounds like a cross between clean and drive, as if it had the distortion, but also that "duhm" sound when you pick a string on clean. The impression, on both the hard rock and acoustic CD, is impressive, melodic, and unique, above all. I recommend that any guitar fan listen to one or two of the songs first. If you like them (which you almost certainly will) you will love the rest of the album.

smb
    obviously Dave has the easier part because he has to sing, but he is also a better guitarist than Josh
    Is this guy kidding? Dave Grohl is at best an average guitarist. Homme is amazing on guitar! This is the best Foos album. I don't care too much for the first disc (One by One pt.2) but the second disc is the best music they're capable of.
    VoltanEchoes
    I love this CD. And I don't think all the songs sound bland/the same. Free Me is one of the best hard rock songs I've heard in a long time. I will concede that the second disc was far superior. But both are must-haves, IMO. -VE
    Cobalt Blue
    i bought this CD the day it came out. it's kick ass. not the band's best, but pretty kick ass.
    rockmachine666
    I totally agree with all the comments above. FOO'S RULE!!! Bests: In Your Honor No Way Back Best Of You DOA Hell The Last Song Free Me I wrote one of these reviews, for the record. the Foo Fighters never cease to KICK ASS!!!
    hazmat5793
    This is my second favorite of all their albums. Definetly a step up from the last album but not as good as The Colour and the Shape!
    7thriff
    Holy crap dave grohl can sing!
    Dude... no.
    The Foo Fighter
    One of the only Cd's that I can just put in the CD player...and let it run all the way through...amazing!!