Live At Wembley Stadium [DVD] Review

9.9
 9.7
 1,140
Live At Wembley Stadium [DVD] Reviewed by: TheDissident, on july 15, 2009

Sound: The Foo Fighters have always been a band to fall under the better-heard-live category. Though their albums are usually of good quality, this is one band that can truly be experienced best in a live setting. Live at Wembley delivers the raw power and emotion of the Foo Fighters in a raw and real setting, with an up close and personal feel one wouldn't expect to find at, as Dave Grohl eloquently puts it, the biggest f***ing show they've ever played. The band rips through five opening songs, including powerful versions of The Pretender, Learn to Fly, and No Way Back. The band slows down just a bit after Learn to Fly ends, allowing Grohl a chance to address the eighty five thousand screaming fans. The filming is masterfully done, with shots of the band, sweeping views of the crowd, and beautifully done close ups of the band. In this short interlude, Grohl promises the crowd that they'll see something the band has never done before. He then dives into Long Road to Ruin, pounding furiously with the band until reaching a stretch of acoustic songs (Skin and Bones, My Hero). The Foo Fighters really connect with the crowd during this part of the setlist, turning down the volume and enjoying the "85,000 back up singers" as Grohl says. Everlong is played on a huge walkway that extends out into the crowd, and Dave gets emotional as he talks about how great his experience in the band has been. These addresses to the crowd are few and far between, but when Dave speaks, the f word is thrown around enough to earn the DVD a Parental Advisory. Following this address, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are brought out, and Dave sits behind the drums on a rocking rendition of Rock and Roll. They continue with Ramble On, and the concert finally finished with Best of You, the entire crowd singing along. // 10

Overall Impression: The Foo Fighters: Live at Wembley is a testament to how far this band has come. Dave Grohl shows his emotional side through out, though he never forgets his own unique sense of humor (and cursing of course). The DVD is well worth the money, and for some, might even substitute for the more expensive option of buying a ticket to a live Foo's show. Most impressive is the band's flat out power. No matter what song you select when you first crack open the DVD, you should instantly feel the energy coursing through each song. The DVD is a great buy, and one you certainly shouldn't pass up. If it was stolen from me, I definitely would not buy it again: I'd have to get it in Blu-Ray instead. // 10

Live At Wembley Stadium [DVD] Reviewed by: carmen barlow, on july 17, 2009

Sound: First of all, I must say that I have been a huge fan and supporter of the Foo Fighters and their music, and was really looking forward to watching this DVD, as I didn't make it to the concert. For anyone that plays music, or for anyone at all, Foo fighters are likely to have inspired people with their music and style, as they have done so with me. From watching the DVD it dawns on you how far the Foos have actually come since 1995, and how far excelled in their careers as musicians. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is honestly one of the best live concerts I have ever seen, and I really recommend it. The energy and atmosphere created is just so hard to compare to any other as it is just so great. The thing I love about it, is just how the Foos come on stage, do their thing and leave everyone in such a high. Downsides? I really cannot think of any. For you Foo Fans that have not yet seen this epic concert I recommend you go to the shops now and buy it, get home, slap it on a TV, whack the volume to full blast and party hard! It's one thing you NEED to do in your life. // 10

Comments