One by One review by Foo Fighters

• Released: Oct 22, 2002
Foo Fighters: One by One

The foo fighters are an amazing band, and 2002s One By One proves this beyond all doubt. The band have really come a long way from the ashes of Nirvana, and Grohl shows that he is a better songwriter than Kurt Kobain in every way with these tracks. This album is a different style from their exceptional album, 1999s "There Is Nothing Left To Lose," the songs are more riff-orientated. This has not diminshed their ability to write the perfect chorus, a feat that Cobain tried to achieve previously (And did with heart-shaped box, in bloom, etc). But back to the album! It opens with the fabulous single All My Life, with a great chorus and louder guitars than ever before. It then moves onto Low, my favorite song on the album. It is dark and brooding, yet is somehow happy at the same time. As the album progresses, you will hear Foo Fighters experiment with different things, as demonstrated with songs such as Tired of You, which is palm muted for the entire song and does not even have drums! The bass on this album is brilliant, as you should expect, and the drums cut brutally to the fore (check out Times Like These or Have It All). All thats left to mention is the guitar, and Dave and Chris have really developed as songwriters. There is no song on this album that I dislike, even with its vast blend of different styles. The guitars are better than ever, and are louder, heavier and overall really add to this album. Full Marks!

We now move on to the lyrics, and back to frontman Dave Grohl (aka the coolest person in rock). On TINLTL, Grohl astonished us with songs like Generator, Learn to Fly, and Aurora. On this album, he betters himself, with amazing lyrics on All My Life "All my life I've been searching for something, something never comes, never leads to nothing..." Times Like These "I'm a one way motorway" and have it all "I'm still in love with you, bot you gotta have it all." His lyrics are improving constantly and have reached their peak here. He shouts, he croons, he sings, yet he still manages to retain his unique style in his lyrics. He is truly one of the best singers of today, and his lyrics remain unsurpassed by all the wannabe bands out there.

I think I have said enough about this album for you to know one simple fact; this album you must own, fot the simple fact that it is brilliant. Foo fighters have done it again, and that should be enough for anyone to buy this.