Skin And Bones review by Foo Fighters

• Released: Nov 7, 2006
Foo Fighters: Skin And Bones

The Foo Fighters had expanded to an 8-piece for the show taking in 3 guitarists, bassist, drummer, organist, percussion and violin. Although the album is an acoustic and live, the sound is very full and rich. The sound of the album itself is very clear, one of the best I've heard for a live show. Somewhat new for Grohl's band, the acoustic set sounds simply great, an excellent showing of the former-Nirvana drummers versatility. One of the strongest parts of the album is the ability to hear every note, and every intonation.

All of the lyrics have been used already because this is a live album. Non-the-less, many of the older songs sound fresh with the new, acoustic sound. Dave Grohl's skill on the microphone is fantastic, as is that of backup vocalist Petra Haden, who played the violin with the band.

If I had to compare this album to another, I'd have to compare it to Nirvana's "Unplugged," which is widely considered one of the best acoustic recordings around. Highlights of the album are the Foo's "My Hero" and "Times Like These." However, the song that sticks out most is "Best of You," in which Grohl, all alone, blasts out the lyrics with emotion that can hardly be matched. I would have bought the album just for that song. I consider this a must-buy for any Foo Fighters fan, and a solid buy for any music fan.

jincasa
    this album is amazing, iv been waiting for it to come out for so long
    grumist
    its nice for a band to get a little acoustic stuff in every now and again.
    gabrielv182
    -February-Star- wrote: I hate you people, with your American release dates. I want it NOW, but i have to wait till the 20th. I could order it import, but my local music store is likely to give away posters and stuff with it, as they do most new albums. I also wanna buy the DVD at the same time, since it has the Hyde Park show as well, gonna try and see myself on there hehe.
    i have to wait more so don't bitch about it.. and the stores here don't give posters and stuff.. can't wait to get that album..
    shoebox_of_lies
    i just listened to a few tracks (im waiting for the dvd to come out to buy it), but it was AMAZING, especially to hear tracks like Best of You and Skin and Bones.
    ToniToronto
    i am a foo fighters fan since i was a little kid and i dont think that this record will suck. the foos have always made good records and this will be another one. dave grohl is one of the best musicians in the whole world and hes like a god to me can you go another round?
    Kal10
    i saw the foo fighters (as my father put: fearlessly fighting foo... funny? not sure, but amusing)open for bob dylan in his concert a little under a week ago. dave grohl is a legend in my books, and will be a legend for years to come. he is easily one of the greatest musicians in the history of the world. proof: bob dylan would not accept a mediocre band to open for him. easily comparable to the nirvana unplugged (he was the drummer, so it's to be expected), im sure the cd will be just as incredible as seeing them live.
    smidy
    Its made my month anyway. Skin and bones dont you know, i'm just skin and bones.
    gtr-boy
    ok i dont listen to Foo Fighters that much but im a huge dave grohl fan he is the coolest guy ever
    blickit
    what a great cd, does anyone know if they will do an MTV unplugged session? because I think it would be just as sweet as Nirvanas, but i don't think Dave likes MTV that much does he?
    GrungePb
    bongfufighter wrote: Grohl is one of the greatest musicians of all times
    agree, i saw this live and it was amazing
    -February-Star-
    ckellingc
    great album. lets just hope they stay together long enough to put out more cd's!
    Cobalt Blue
    the first review almost sounds like he's not aware it's a live album. "While some might complain that the Foo Fighters are just rehashing what was already done on disk 2 of In Your Honor," might just be me, but i don't know who would complain that they're playing new songs on a live album. i'm sure people (especially the hardcore fans) would complain if they just played a best of set like the last tour.. the band was great live, as soon as i have some cash flow i'll get the album... the bootleg from the show i saw in toronto isn't amazing quality.
    BtlGurl
    So much passion and emotion from Dave in this acoustic album. "Everlong" and "Times like These" give me goosebumps. Simply Awesome!