The Colour and the Shape review by Foo Fighters

• Released: May 20, 1997
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Foo Fighters: The Colour and the Shape

Before even purchasing this album, I had amazingly high expectations, ones which were perhaps unrealistic. Prior to the buy, I had heard two songs; My Hero and Everlong. Both are magical, emotionally-charged melodies of an un-surpassed calibre, displaying the raw talent and sincerity of Dave Grohl. Obviously, these set a precedent for the remainder of the album, which, unfortunately, does not produce the same unadulterated intensity. Dave Grohl is clearly influenced by Nirvana, with grinding, battered guitar riffs and a hint of stroppiness which is particularly evident in Enough Space. Grohl also seems partial to melodic, pop-drenched lyrics, sometimes acquiring a lullaby type voice. I feel that this can dominate some songs in the album, songs which may have nurtured Grohl's natural penchant for spitting, aggresive vocal flavours. Despite it's short-comings, this album is refreshingly innovative. Dave chooses some unusual, rule-defying chord progressions and key changes on numerous songs. Some of which purists may wave their conservative finger at, but potentially, they are stretching the hazy parameters of rock music and shoving the ideals of the genre to a relatively un-chartered level of originality. With the unique blend of typical, exhausted major/minor scale riffs and sincere, convincing, odd progressions, the listener is subjected to the possible future in music.

The majority of Dave's lyrics have always elluded me. I am not ridiculing his ability as a writer. Creating cryptic, mysterious lyrics can give a song exuberance and conviction. It also allows the the listener to dissect and interpret the music, perhaps even relating it to themself, thus augmenting the song with a whole new dimension and scope. But, if the lyricist is to vague and wraps the song in a blanket of ambiguity, this deciphering process becomes a challenge. Grohl's words are too solipsistic and sporadic for my liking, bar Everlong and My hero. Eddie Vedder is the undisputed master of lyrical poetry, with his ability to create meaningful, image-evoking stories covered in a mysterious veil sewn with metaphors and allegorys. Dave needs to suspend his Nirvana lyric influence and release his natural inner-grohl.

This albums wins my perpetual respect and fascination because of it's eagerness to steer off in a new rock tangent. I beleive that this the predominant, adverse factor which is restricting Grohl. It is a difficult feat, venturing into an alien style of music, and equally as difficult trying to block out all external factors. Peers, mainstream, public, press, past rock bands, they can all govern the direction in which your music heads, leaving you diffident and frustated. I beleive the Fighters can transcend all of this, possibly propelling themselves into legendary status. If only they could discern the lucrative spot from where My Hero and Everlong manifested, they could exploit it. If it was stolen or lost, I would probably not bother investing in a replacement. I see no logic in buying an album with 4/13 respectable songs. Overall, an enigmatic, ineteresting album, that is atleast worth a listen, despite its sporadicness and downfalls.