The Colour and the Shape review by Foo Fighters

• Released: May 20, 1997
Foo Fighters: The Colour and the Shape

This is the best Foo Fighters album, with the classic tracks. It is one of the heaviest Foos albums, behind Foo Fighters. The drums in the album are easily recocnisable as Dave Grohl's drumming, shown most evidently in the intro to My Hero, with a very hard-hitting style. Solos are very rarely used, as with most songs, breakdowns are more important here. Solos however appear in- My Poor Brain, Wind Up, Up In Arms and Enough Space. Overall, This album features a good range of sounds, ranging from very loud songs such as Monkey Wrench and Everlong, and the quiet acoustic soungs See You and Walking After You.

The lyrics in this album follow the beggining and ending of a relationship. Each song carries on the story from Monkey Wrench up to New Way Home. The only song that strays away from this is My Hero, which itself has very powerful lyrics. The song is thought to be about Kurt Cobain, however Grohl denies this. Dave's singing is quite good on this album, but not as good as later albums where his skills have developed. This album does feature the most screaming of Foos albums, such as on Monkey Wrench, My Poor Brain, Wind Up and Enough Space. Although the songs don't fit the screaming so much, Dave still pulls it off well.

Overall this album is the best, I think I've just worn it out because I've listened to it too much. I highly reccomend this album to anyone who has only heard the later stuff, and wants to hear the rest of Foo Fighters albums.