The Colour and the Shape review by Foo Fighters

• Released: May 20, 1997
Foo Fighters: The Colour and the Shape

Where to start? The sound of the Foo Fighters is unique. Dave Grohl (drummer for Nirvana) brings something special to the band. The one-time drummer's voice and singing talents are amazing. Then, his and Pat Smear's guitar playing on this album is great. Then Nate Mendel adds his ryhtmic bass lines. For the drumming, it says Taylor Hawkins, who is currently the Foos drummer, is on the album. But he is not. This is original drummer William Goldsmith. So add all these artist together and you get the unique sound that makes up the Foo Fighters. Raging guitars and drums on some songs. Soft acoustic guitars on others. 10 for the Foo Fighters "The Colour and the Shape".

Now we talk about Dave Grohl. Don't forget that Dave did sing backup in Nirvana, so he wasn't new to this. It's amazing how Dave went from Nirvana, where Kurt wrote depressing and angry lyrics, to the Foo Fighters, where the lyrics are much more pleasant and less depressed. Now Dave has an amazing singing voice. It could be soft and calm in songs like "Walking After You". Or it can change to his insane primal scream in "Wind Up". Dave's vocals get a 10 from me.

Out of all 5 (only 3 days away from "Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace") Foo Fighters albums, this is by far my favorite. I love "Everlong", "Monkey Wrench", "Hey, Johnny Park", "My Hero" and "New Way Home". I love the Foo Fighters post-grunge sound. This is a must get for anyone interested in the Foo Fighters. "The Colour and the Shape" gets a perfect 10 from me.

guitarguru1212
    my fav album it is like the blood sugar sex magic for foo fighters, everlong is da best on album
    MerryGoRound
    I won't say its their best, but it definitely is my favourite to listen to...with their self titled at a close second.