The Colour and the Shape review by Foo Fighters

• Released: May 20, 1997
Foo Fighters: The Colour and the Shape

The sound on The Colour and The Shape is very good. With crunching guitars, a bombardment of drums and a solid bass line. I also like how they used effects on Enough Space. Since their debut album, the Foo Fighters have presented a sound that is a comnination of Punk Rock and hard rock, making it very pleasing to the ears. To me, this sounds like the Foo's signature sound.

The lyrics on The Colour and The Shape can be deep, and at times it can be just flat out. That doesn't mean the lyrics are bad, though. With songs like Monkey Wrench, My Poor Brain and Wind up, you can tell that Dave was in a pretty foul mood. Songs such as Hey, Johnny Park!, Everlong and February Stars, Dave seems to have taken some thought into the lyrics. The lyrics go very good with the music. Dave has a very strong voice, and can scream his balls off, or he can lower it to a whisper and still sound good.

I have to admit, when I first picked this up, I didn't touch for a while. It took me some time to appreciate, and it's my favorite album I own. It's very well produced and the tracks are colorful, as in they show lots of emotion throughout the album. I especially love how any track on here can match a certain mood you might be in. The most impressive songs on this album, I think are "Everlong", "February Stars", "Monkey Wrench" and "New Way Home." "Everlong" is an impressive song, because it has real meaning it. While this the Foo Fighter's most recognizable song, something about it makes it even better. "February Stars" is impressive for its merging into a very soft, and gentle song, into a loud and proud song. One of my favorites on this. "Monkey Wrench" is up there with my favorite songs. Taylor is an excellant drummer and shows off his talent in this song. This is an irrestibly catchy song. "New Way Home" is the closer for The Colour and The Shape. Dave and co. certainly know how to close an album. This is one of the better tracks on TCATS. If this album was stolen, I would go out and buy two copies just so I could an extra if it was stolen again.

James_Calalo
    I think its one of most important records of 90s that decade is not complete if there was no color and the shape for me personally its one of the best record i've ever owned
    shadow__666
    Tag43: Taylor didn't play drums on this album, he only joined the Foos at the start of recording for Colour and the Shape. Dave recorded the drum parts.