The Colour and the Shape review by Foo Fighters

• Released: May 20, 1997
Foo Fighters: The Colour and the Shape

The sound of the album is very polished, especially compared to their debut album. The music runs along hard rock and somewhat punkish territory's, but also can be very soft, melodic, and catchy too. The album was still dominated by Dave Grohl's presence much like the first one. He recorded many guitar parts and almost all the drum parts for the album. The sound the Foo Fighter's truly created here was that of modern arena rock, or arena alternative if you will.

The lyrics are simply put amazing on the album. The Colour And The Shape is a loose concept on the timeline of a relationship. To me this hits home very well, its not very hard to see with songs like "Doll", "Everlong", "Walking After You", "February Stars", and "Monkey Wrench" all describing relationship battles and victories. To me "Doll" is like a intro of sorts, showing the situation as the status quo and informing the listener of the kinds of trials and tribulations that occur on the album. "Monkey Wrench" seems like a classic fight over not wanting to be used in relationship. Some songs don't really touch on this subject, for instance "Hey, Johnny Park!", "My Hero", and "Wind Up" don't seem to connected with the plot. "My Poor Brain" seems to describe how hard this relationship has become. "Up In Arms" is a testament to still loving the other person even through all the trouble. "See You" is a moment of pure satisfaction and glory in the relationship. "Enough Space" is where it comes to a head and the character exclaims how he doesn't have enough space. "February Stars" is a truly fantastic song perfectly encapsulating the feeling of trying to move on from the relationship, but it being very hard to. "Everlong" is another masterpiece on the album that describes that feeling of never wanting a particular moment to end. "Walking After You" is the final slow sad symbol of moving on in the relationship, with the character truly traumatized. "New Way Home" is the finale, the ultimate statement of moving on, no longer sad but completely ready. Dave Grohl really has a talented voice. On the harder songs he can really scream, (Monkey Wrench, Enough Space, Wind Up) and on the softer songs he really has a dreamy voice (February Stars, Walking After You, Doll, Everlong).

Personally I think it's the best Foo Fighter's album, and one of my favorite albums of all-time period. I'll go over the songs one by one: 01. Doll: underrated, a great melody and a great intro to the album's premise. 7.5/10 02. Monkey Wrench: a very good song on the album with a great message that really is complimented by the music. The lyrics and music mesh together perfectly. 9/10 03. Hey, Johnny Park!: an incredibly underrated song on the album, with great transitions from soft to heavy and vice versa. Grohl's voice is especially good. 9.5/10 04. My Poor Brain: a pretty good song with a great verse melodic vocal line. 8/10 05. Wind Up: a nice chromatic riff, but the song is just kinda filler sounding to me. 7/10 06. Up In Arms: the beginning soft part of this song is just pure relaxation and bliss musically, and the second part is a frat party in a single song. 9/10 07. My Hero: a perfect representation of Dave Grohl's near perfect song writing. The chord progression, main riff, and vocal lines are stunning. 9.5/10 08. See You: a pretty decent pop song, kinda filler-ish but I don't mind. 7/10 09. Enough Space: an okay riff, but the song structure isn't FF's finest hour. 6/10 10. February Stars: the most underrated song on this album for sure, pure musical genius. The lyrics, dreamy vocal line, and incredible guitar sound all culminate into this explanation point on the album. 10/10 11. Everlong: one great song leads to another, a PERFECT song structure which satisfies your appetite fully but leaves you wanting to listen to the song another 20 times in-a-row. Simply excellent. 10/10 12. Walking After You: a purely beautiful song, it really doesn't get much better than this. The best vocals from Grohl on the whole album and an incredible production and instrumentation finalize on this one track. 10/10 13. New Way Home: cannot think of a better way to end this roller coaster of an album. The song for the first couple minutes establishes itself with plenty of great hooks, but the ending buildup is that final release of emotions that set this album ablaze with passion. 9.5/10

fendercobain87
    febuary stars was the best song on the album but this whole album was written very well and it stll stands strong after 13 years truly a great record.....
    tom11
    From the top 1st review: "03. Hey, Johnny Park! - 10/10, possibly my favourite song of all time. Written for Dave Grohl's childhood friend. Simply awesome riffs and basslines. Catchy, diverse lyrics. Only slight, very slight, letdown is the chorus, kinda unoriginal." A song with an unoriginal chorus which lets the song down gets 10/10 and is possibly his favourite song ever? Just wait until hear a song with a chorus you like! It'll blow your mind.