There Is Nothing Left to Lose review by Foo Fighters

• Released: Nov 2, 1999
Foo Fighters: There Is Nothing Left to Lose

I think the sound of this album is brilliant. The drums are big in a way that reminds me of Dave's drumming in Nirvana (such as the Scentless Apprentice drumming) and this works well. I think Dave is not only a talented guitarist but also has a great, powerful voice, that reveals a softer side in songs such as Aurora and Next Year. The bass is never brilliant and slightly muddy at times, however overall the sound of the album is very big and impressive.

Dave is obviously a talented songwriter. There was evidence of this as early as 1990 when he wrote a song called Marigold for Nirvana. Not only was it a great song, I feel it ranks within Kurt's best efforts, and considering I feel Kurt Cobain was the most talented songwriter of the '90s possibly one of the most talented ever, the fact Dave Grohl's songs are up to the same standard shows how much respect I have for him not only as a musician but also a songwriter.

This album is incredible; absorbing, epic, angry, energetic, forceful, incredible, powerful and that's just the first song! This album I feel is one of the best rock album's of the last 10 years, simply because it rocks so hard with a great level of cryptic genious! It makes you want to grab a guitar and play-along, it makes you wanna sing along. It does everything a quality rock album should do. This is a top class quality rock album, with that little something extra. I would seriously recommend this album. It's incredible. However some songs do stand out to me. My favourite songs are probably Gimme Stitches, Next Year and MIA which is such a great album finisher. I feel that the first song (Stacked Actor's) and the last (MIA) perfectly envelope the album, in which you'll find hidden gems, well known anthems and simply good rock songs. Perhaps not a perfect album but closer than any other but the very best attempts. It is hard to imagine this not becoming one of your favourite albums.