There Is Nothing Left to Lose review by Foo Fighters

• Released: Nov 2, 1999
Foo Fighters: There Is Nothing Left to Lose

This album has a great mix of both loud and soft rock. You can see the trend in just the first six songs. Stacked Actors is the loudest, most aggressive song on the album. Then the songs get progressively softer after that, until you get to Auroura, the quietest and calmest song on the album. The rest of the songs are loud enough to be considered rock, but mellow at the same time.

Learn to Fly has some of the greatest lyrics I have ever heard. It's because of that that it's my favorite song. There's also a rumor about the lyrics of Stacked Actors being an "I Hate You" message from Dave Grohl to Courtney Love. Not proven, but it makes sense. Most of the songs are very well written, with excellent lyrics.

For the best Foos album, it's a toss up between this one, and The Colour and the Shape. I think TCATS is a bit better, but this one is not far behind. I'm gonna break the songs down: 01. Stacked Actors - again, it's a loud, balls-to-the-walls rocking song. It doesn't fit in with the other songs that well, but it's a good one none-the-less. 02. Breakout - cool, poppy song. A great riff, and Dave's scream of "Breakout" is pretty sweet. 03. Learn To Fly - simply the greatest song on the album, and possibly one of the greatest ever. Not much I can say other than, "Perfection." 04. Gimme Stitches - a pretty neat song. The sliding guitar riffs are cool, and it's very catchy. 05. Generator - I love the guitar effects on this song. The "Wah" is very cool. Poppy and catchy like Breakout, but much calmer. 06. Auroura - an excellent slow song. The echoey guitar riffs are amazing, and the vocals are great too. 07. Live-In Skin - good song. Not much to say about it. The guitars and lyrics match up pretty well. 08. Next Year - another great slower song. All the elements of the song are very weel done. 09. Headwires - this one is a bit different. The verse is quiet and calm, but the chorus is loud. A nice contrast. 10. Ain't It The Life - this one's cool, it's folky and could be played with an acoustic. I think it would be better that way. 11. MIA - this song kinda disappointed me. Most other Foo's albums end with a good song, but this one is a bit drab. So, yeah, I'd buy it if I were you.

mikedeit
    Overall, I think that Dave Grohl is a great song writer, and his songs on this album show that. Every single song that I've heard from them are great! I recommend this album to anyone that likes alternative rock.
    archangelseren
    Because My Friends Listen to them i listen to some too and i actually like some of it especially Stacked Actors and Breakout a late second favourite
    kgesme21
    thenegcreep wrote: Learn to Fly is one of the greatest songs out there, and of course the music video is awesome to go along with it.
    The music video might be the best music video ever made.
    turnfoot
    simple math on my favourite song: Foo Fighters + "Learn To Fly" = PERFECTION!!!
    thenegcreep
    mister bass guy
    i might be the only person in the world who thinks this but my favorite album is one by one. i dont know... it's just that every single song on there i love with a sweet burning passion.
    benthegrunge
    over half this album is filler to be honest. breakout is one of the best tracks they did, learn to fly was only big coz of the video in my opinion, fairly lacklustre, stacked actors isnt bad but is a bit of a midtempo plodder, and the latter half of the album is a snore.
    benthegrunge
    over half this album is filler to be honest. breakout is one of the best ever foos songs, learn 2 fly was only very successful coz of the video in my opinion, quite bland. stacked actors is ok but abit of a mid-tempo plodder, dno y its evry1s fave.and the 2nd half of the album is a ryt snore