Changes review by For the Fallen Dreams

• Released: Jan 8, 2008
For the Fallen Dreams: Changes

One of my favourite genres lately is that melodic, breakdown laden metalcore (Misery Signals, It Prevails). FTFD fits in to that category. Drop A# chugging breakdowns with melodic guitar lines is the best way to describe this band. Some of the parts seem simple, but become more complex when you try to figure out how they're played (e.g. the opening lick from Hopeless). Track by track breakdown: 01. Brothers In Arms - is that one track thats a fan favourite. The beggining is just asking for a pile-on scream-along. 02. New Beginnings - just an average song. 03. Hopeless - one of my favourites. "This is all on you!" The end breakdown has what most breakdowns lack - a time signature other than 4/4. The 6/8 time signature fives you somewhat of a "swing" feeling. 04. Last Dying Breath - I love the ending. I'm really suprised they didnt play this song live when I saw them. 05. This World Around Us - short track that would have been better placed as album opener. 06. Never Again - that one song every band has about moving on. The lyrics seem to be about getting past someone (girlfriend?) 07. Changes - just an instrumental. This song and Through The Looking Glass probably have the best drumwork out of the whole album. 08. Vengeance - there are people who like to compare metalcore bands to nu-metal. This song doesnt help prove them wrong. Nonetheless, this is the most aggresive and heaviest song on the album. 09. Falling Down - same as track 2, average. 10. Through The Looking Glass - the longest track on the CD. The ending to the song includes a change of pace. String parts are slowly fused into the song while the guitars start to get softer. At the very end, all that is left is a military style snare beat with a low string melody (cell + bass?). For fans of: It Prevails, Misery Signals, The Acacia Strain, Emmure, As I Lay Dying, Bury Your Dead.

The lyrics aren't anything special. I've heard better, but I've also heard worse. The vocals are pretty generic. They alternate between screams and gang vocals, but that's as much variation as you're going to get. If you're looking for something new, this probably isn't for you.

The production on this album is a lot better than their last release, which included earlier versions of This World Around Us, New Beginnings and Last Dying Breath. The vocals have also greatly improved from the previous demo. They are a lot more clearer and understandable. I think it would have been better if they re-recorded Divine and Look Alive and took out Changes.

Zao_89
    aar24 wrote: i think that breakdown at the end of hopeless is in 4/4... still sick though
    Depends on how you look at it. I'm pretty sure it's 6/8.
    IcanHasBass
    Zao_89 wrote: I meant average in comparison to the rest of the songs.
    It's got a sick breakdown IMO
    ianaimo
    this has to be one of the best bands in metalcore currently! their new cd should be coming out this fall i believe! SSOOOO excited! I've seen them many times and played with them 2 times they are so amazing!
    sw332th
    Most of the breakdowns in the album Changes are grand the first time i listened to them they just caught my attention almost instantly.I love these guys they inspire me in my music to a certain extent.
    aar24
    i think that breakdown at the end of hopeless is in 4/4... still sick though
    synestershadows
    bentastic27 wrote: Im soo proud these guys are from my town ha... best band outta Michigan .
    Moshigan
    Shakalum
    This band is pretty sick. The disc really grew on me after a couple listens. Gnarly breakdowns...
    iwroteasongonce
    These guys do an amazing show....and all i can say is when Brothers In Arms comes up...dont stand in front.