Relentless review by For the Fallen Dreams

• Released: Jul 21, 2009
For the Fallen Dreams: Relentless

For The Fallen Dreams returns with their new title "Relentless", and it definately takes an adjective role in describing this album's sound. The wall of flaming dropped guitar tones scorches your ears with very explosive palm-muting, while the band's extremely talented drummer roars up a fast paced hardcore-style rhythm and the brand new vocalist chills you with emotionally charged lyrics and powerful growls. Every other few measures the aggression lets off and a heartful melody pierces you with some quite nicely placed and extinguished post-hardcore riffs. I am very pleased with how this album was created. I was very fond of "Changes", which made me immediately pick up this CD. My favorite song would have to be "Nightmares". Jeremy McKinnon, vocalist from "A Day To Remember" appears in this song with his amazing singing during the song breaks. The song is fairly emotional, but at the same time extremely heavy. The guitars are quite intricate, but the only thing that takes away from it is the "chugga-chugga" throughout the song. Besides that the melodies and riffs are well written. The drumming... Good lord, just imagine guitars alone. This guy takes every riff thrown at him at makes a napalm of flaming percussion to take the riff to the 'Extra Level'. Very unique band. Give em a listen. (Also... "In Sincerity" is rather beautiful to listen to)

The lyrics are very intimate, and touch the emotional side of writing. This is not a bad thing. At all. I grow tired of lyrics that broach the monosity of hardcore/death metal motifs of killing, societal corrosion, sluts, diabolical schemes, etc. etc. The lyrics are very well placed and I sense a sort of collectiveness with the guitars and vocalist, as the lyrics are extremely fine tuned with the chugs and bends... (It also may be that the vocalist is down right awesome) The song "Nightmares" has a killer line, "I wont let this go, for some things you will never know", which is brutally growled during the breakdown. It just sends the message of the song soaring to the top and is what makes this song really peak. Overall, the lyrics seem to surround the theme of relationships, hardship through distance with loved ones and aggression towards ignorance and stupidity of those who do not perceive reality as it should be... Which adds to the Hardcore effect. I absolutely love this vocalist's ability to pour his heart out onto paper and channel his aggressive style vocals to patch the music properly.

For the Fallen Dreams' counter-part, musically, would have to be "The Ghost Inside", though For the Fallen Dreams has a more grim sound during breakdowns and a follow-up of post-hardcore Misery Signal-esque melodic breaks and unique two-step beats, they can both be crossed and not know which is which at some points... But, in my opinion, For the Fallen Dreams takes the top and crushes everybody elses fingers on the edge. In the end, this band is fairly different and unique, if you've not listened to this album throughout, do yourself a favor and experience the whirling musical intensity of "Relentless". Whether you've stolen it or just listened to it through YouTube... Props.

ianaimo
    For the fallen dreams are great! I will admit i don't like every song, but when they write a "good" song, they write an "amazing" song. The ghost inside is amazing too. I don't really feel they sound much like for the fallen dreams personally though. I mean some similarities maybe, but those you could say are similarities that a lot of metalcore bands have.
    Revelations1994
    I personally never thought they were doing anything unique. Not that they are bad or anything, but I wouldn't go as far as to call them different or unique.
    conkersbfd182
    Eurasian_C
    6stringbassist
    Eurasian_C wrote: conkersbfd182 wrote: Their first CD was 10x better and don't even compare them to The Ghost Inside, those guys are ****ing amazing Agreed. The Ghost Inside in general is a better band. I mean I like this band's music, but it doesn't really push the boundaries that much.
    Both of these bands are insane, and I've had the honor of sharing the stage with The Ghost Inside, and they are the nicest guys ever. I'm also going to be sharing the stage with For The Fallen Dreams on July 15th! =] Anyway!! Excellent album, wonderful lyrics, and awesome breakdowns!
    Eurasian_C
    synestershadows wrote: You guys are forgetting about Misery Signals. TGI and FTFD were both influenced by them.
    Misery Signals is just perfection. There, I said it.
    Amuro Jay
    EpiExplorer
    jetfuel495 wrote: FTFD are fun to listen to on occasion. Don't know where all this talk of "metal" and Scar Symmetry comes from though.
    Its one of the songs I was listening to. Had similar but weaker growls and a vocalist that had a similar yet still weaker clean voice.
    metallicaflavor
    changes>relentless and how is there little or no change from changes? theyre almost a totally different sounding band in relentless. just basic metalcore. not the cool melodic metalcore sound they had in their first album