Breaker review by For Today

• Released: Aug 31, 2010
For Today: Breaker

Lets get this out in the open: For Today is one of my favorite bands, ad Mattie has become one of my favorite vocalists. With that in mind, lets get to my review. Soundwise, its not their best. There are A LOT of breakdown, although most are pretty decent. But it definitely gets overwhelming. They also used WAY too many pauses before breakdowns. For Today uses something new to them: Gang Chants. While its different, they probably only needed to use one, but they over-use it. The one used in "White Flag" is very catchy, but the one in "Phoenix" is just annoying. that's probably my least favorite part of the album. And those are the cons, don't worry, there are pros. The mixing and quality of this album is definitely top notch. And there are a few impressive riffs that definitely remind you of classic for today.

For those who didn't already know, this album is written around a poem called "The Breaker" written by Jose Palos. The lyrics probably save this album, for me personally. Mattie has such a way with words, its pretty incredible. I'm a pretty spiritual person, and I got chills with the ending choir part.

Overall, it is a decent album. If you love For Today, you will most likely love this album. But if you are looking into them for the first time, pick up Portraits first. Honestly, I enjoyed the album a lot. There aren't as many memorable parts as there were on Portraits, but its a solid effort. I'd give it an 8.7 out of 10.

IRaRe IFoRmZz
    I'm not liking these reviews. Personally think this is the best album I've heard all year. It was the first album from For Today I'd listened to, but this one made me go and give their other stuff a listen, i think this album is a hell of a lot better than their previous stuff, not just the music, but vocals and especially the quality of the tracks. And generic-core? I'm struggling to find a band that i enjoy as much as these, and as for the breakdowns, i can't get enough of them, they do them well so why the hell not! And moving on to the guest vocals, one of my favorite parts of that track. Guess it's all down to opinion, but imo this band are way under-rated!
    BuCk3t-h3aD
    I think everyone just shits on For Today way too much and needs to give them the credit they deserve for all their talent and hardwork! I would like to note that For Today has done chants since their first album you bumbling idiot, horrible review. You're obviously not a fan, or an english graduate either. I just want people to lighten up a little bit about religious metal and give it a chance. It's not like you can understand the screams and growls first off until you hit the album book for the lyrics then you relize what you just got yourself into. I'm not christian, or affiliate of any church. I whorship music, guitar, and drums. The new album is sick, go buy it, and get off their case.
    Alpha_Wolf
    btsrox1 wrote: For Today uses something new to them: Gang Chants.
    Sooo not new to For Today at all
    btsrox1
    Alpha_Wolf wrote: btsrox1 wrote: For Today uses something new to them: Gang Chants. Sooo not new to For Today at all
    haha sorry brother, i actually forgot about that. but i didnt remember until i had already submitted this
    cworosz24
    "Also, I don't really like the guest vocals from the vocalist of stray from the path. His vocal style didn't really match the lyrics or riff that he was screaming along to."
    ianaimo
    cworosz24 wrote: I thought the guest vocal was great. It really worked because the theme matched Stray From the Path. Plus its better then having a singer that sounds almost alike just doing some standard highs or Oliver Sykes guest vocals with Blind Witness. Haha
    Ya after I saw them play this live, I agree with you. After I have listened to the cd now like 80 times lol The guest vocals are great!