Fight The Silence review by For Today

• Released: Feb 4, 2014
For Today: Fight The Silence

Known amongst the collective of Christian metalcore bands that quelled the notion that "all heavy music is devil music," For Today holds very strong convictions about their beliefs and the messages they convey in their music. And whether that makes you love them or hate them, they are going to keep making music regardless. While working on their fifth album, frontman Mattie Montgomery saw something that would rattle his very core, and end up being the newfound inspiration for the upcoming album that was already in the works: he saw a spectacle on human trafficking. After that experience, For Today created the album "Fight The Silence," which would be their articulation about the atrocity of human trafficking and the need for action to end it. Not only would the band drive this message with passion, but they would also put their money where their mouths were, and donate proceeds from the album and the supporting tour to the A21 campaign that works to fight human trafficking.

Generally, For Today keeps it pretty formulaic with the sound on this album: you'll find the standard routine of heavy chugging guitar riffs and screaming vocals in verses, and more melodic guitar lines and clean vocals in the choruses in nearly all the songs. The drums are perhaps the most complex throughout the album, with plenty of fantastic drum-fills to choose as your favorite (but it's just as easy to say that they're all your favorites). For Today mixes it up with their intros, though: using the filtered instrumental intros in "Molotov," "Fight the Silence" and "Pariah"; guitar feedback crescendo intros in "A Call to Arms," "For the Fallen" and "One Voice"; and songs like "Fatherless," "Dead to Rights" and "Hated by the World" just jump right into the metalcore with reckless abandon. The guitars get to display some higher skill in "Fatherless," where quick fills are thrown on top of the chugging riffs, "Pariah," where the lead goes into a nice sweep arpeggio at the bridge, and "One Voice," where complex clean riffs ring over the heaviness of the choruses. The guitars also get to be very harmonious in "Resonate" and "Reflections," which are the interludes of the album that let you take a breath before diving back into the aggressive songs. "Reflections" is also the somber counterpart and predecessor to "Break the Cycle," which features guest vocalist Matty Mullins of Memphis May Fire, and the two tracks work well in tandem.

While the sound aspect of the album is just about everything you'd expect from For Today, the lyrical aspect is where "Fight the Silence" becomes more than your standard metalcore album. Frontman Mattie Montgomery had made it clear what he intended for the album when they released the eponymous single as the flagship music video a couple months ago. The lyrics to "Fight the Silence" really go all-out about bringing awareness to the issue of human trafficking, with Montgomery's poignant rhymes and symbolism about fighting the silence that plagues the unawareness of human trafficking being delivered with the utmost intensity. While "Fight the Silence" is the lyrical MVP of the album, Montgomery did not put all of his lyrical eggs in one basket, per se - songs like "Call to Arms," "One Voice" and "Resonate" also contain messages that complement the core message in "Fight the Silence." And while the direct subject matter in "Fatherless" is about the absence of a father figure, parallels can be tied between that message and the children who are victims of human trafficking, which also helps people who may relate to the direct message to be able to better comprehend the plight of human trafficking. But if you're someone that's hoping to hear For Today's classic subject matter of Christian overtones, songs like "Pariah," "Dead to Rights" and "Hated by the World" ought to satisfy.

Music becomes better when it's composed with substantial purpose. Though For Today sticks with the methods they're familiar with musically, they use those methods to deliver a message that meant a great deal to them, and they did it well. It's hard to imagine if the connotation of human trafficking was completely absent from the album, but if it were, "Fight the Silence" would probably be just an average metalcore album. But you can't separate that message from the album, because that message is the album. And that's what makes it more than just average.

Craziork
    Spreading a message about human trafficking won't do shit... It's an activity held by dangerous criminals. You just profit from a social issue to look like a noble activist. Btw that album sucks, pointless music, heard that shit over and over from a thousand bands.
    CollinsKChris
    For Today's past album projects have not been bad this album just sounds generic and some songs almost sound the same. It was a big disappointment
    Skyvalve2012
    Good review, for once...but music-wise, vppark told me it was a let down.
    vppark2
    Agreed. Good review, but I honestly did not take a good listen to all of the tracks. All I know is you can barely tell Matty Mullins is even in Break The Cycle. Regardless, I still miss that classic For Today sound from Portraits, Ekklesia, and Breaker. Immortal was good, but Breaker EP def started the downfall, production wise, and tbh, guitar wise is just so rehashed and generic, it just sounds like a bunch of noise to me.
    crazysam23_Atax
    I'm going to listen to this -- having never listened to any previous For Today material -- and see if I agree with you on it being "generic". /shrug
    ColdHeartedHero
    This band is been a letdown since i first heard them. Im sure this wont be any different, and something about their heavily religious music bothers me, being an entirely non-religious person.
    Co2power
    For Today is one of my favorite bands. Every album they make sounds better and better!
    Yakisobayum567
    I've never, ever been a fan, from the moment I listened to my first album, Breaker. The stupid cliche breakdowns, and the mediocre screams, they've never appealed to me. The only thing that even slightly interested me in this review was the sweep appregio, but it's probably super simple. I don't think I'll ever be impressed with them I'm sorry, I can't stand them, this is why I don't listen to half the Christian Metalcore out there.
    Cavalcade
    Don't forget the lyrics. Breaker is the perfect example of how not to write about a serious topic.
    TheMetalcoreGuy
    I don't understand how people hate these guys so much. I'm all for marriage equality, and I'm all for pro choice, but if these guys aren't, who cares? It isn't like any of these band members are going to hate meeting you if you don't believe the same things. They still back shit up with messages like Break The Silence. Saying that these guys are against gay marriage is like saying Hitler was a vegetarian. It's true, but it's hardly the ****ing story!
    bakutakamine
    Ehrm. Like the message. But the first song was pretty bad. Even for a For Today song, who I'm not really a fan of in the first place but they've done better songs then this one. If you have a message back it up with music that doesn't sound 15 years old. For real.
    bifteksupernova
    After the disappointment of Breaker, I pretty much forgot about these guys. I haven't listened to anything since then, and probably won't, but kudos for them to write about something like this and try to ACTUALLY do something about it. Lot's of Christian, hell even metalcore/hardcore bands, like to talk a big game about trying to better the world and unite society or what have you. But these guys donating proceeds to a cause like this is a big thumbs up. Awesome.
    auzzietaco
    I was dubious about getting this (due to the guitarists views) but the title track was great. The albums not bad, the lyrics save it from being utterly generic.
    sg4ever
    You clearly know nothing of what organizations such as International Justice Mission or other similar ones are doing to actually be an integral part of law enforcement finding and shutting down said activity. The change and reform has mostly been taking place in more third world countries (freeing both sex and labor slaves), but it's only a matter of time before places like Atlanta (one of the largest trafficking hubs in the world) begin to start cleaning up as well. These people put their money where their mouth is and don't play.