Immortal review by For Today

• Released: May 29, 2012
For Today: Immortal

The Christian metalcore act is back at it with their fourth album release! I discovered these guys not too long ago, and I am impressed. After setting out an album every year, they now go to the 2-year span, and quite honestly it has really paid off. Now signed to Razor & Tie Records. Gang vocals were still set in this album, but not as much as their past albums. The focus was more directed towards Mattie on the sound, and occasionally Ryan would come in and do cleans. I noticed that he contributed more with singing on this album, and he fit in quite well. The smooth, heavy guitars busted throughout pretty much every track on this album, as well as the banging of the drums.

The lyrics portrayed pretty much what you'd expect from For Today. More lyrics about their religious beliefs were brought into context, but spoken with even more powerful energy than from what we heard from Mattie before. The cutting edge of Mattie's screams really killed it throughout just about every single song here. His screams are so powerful that I honestly could imagine him fronting a death metal band, and his screams do fit that perspective. At times, I would just get blown away by the force of his powerful screams.

Overall, I really liked this album. It sets the stone for their fourth release, and they went strong on this one. I feel as though these gets get better after every album they make. These guys can be compared to many other Christian metalcore acts, but what makes them really different is the overall tone of Mattie's voice, and the lyrics they put on through. Bands I could compare these guys to, though, if anything, would be August Burns Red, The Devil Wears Prada, Texas In July, and As I Lay Dying. They're all Christian metalcore acts for that fact. And speaking of August Burns Red, For Today did a song with Jake Luhrs, who is the lead front man of ABR, on this album. That song is called "Set Apart". "Set Apart", "Stand Defiant", "Fearless", "Immortal", "Foundation", "Open Eyes", and "My Confession" would have to be my favorite songs from the album. I pretty much love every song off the album, as you can see. For Today also did a song with Sonny Sandoval from P.O.D. I thought this was a pretty cool collaboration. My favorite from the album would definitely have to be "Stand Defiant", though. Just the overall energy Mattie's vocals brought in throughout the song gave me the chills. Another song I absolutely loved was "Immortal". In the beginning of the song, Mattie already rages his voice out at 0:10 and speaks this "Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives. Everyone dies, but the faithful will live on to rule the Kingdom." Just the message Mattie is trying to send really shows how much it means to him, and they way he speaks it with brutal force. Another track, that I also got hooked on, was "Fearless". This lead single just pumped me up so much. This song had more of the memorable moment of gang vocals. Right off the bat in the song, it went like this, "We will not, We will not, We will not be afraid x4" I thought these lyrics added on quite nicely as gang vocals, and then Mattie comes in right away with, "We are FEARLESS... FEARLESS! My favorite line of the song would have to be, "Every threat is hollow because our victory is already set in stone." This line also is quite nice, "Though we stand in this dark valley (we will not be afraid) For we know that you are near." This album was quite amazing, and really showed that metalcore really has some potential. The overall energy brought in by every member was quite impressive. I am not Christian, I am actually Buddhist, so the other side to the lyrics, in which shows many of the band's beliefs, didn't really make me necessary believe too, but it made me see how these lyrics really show something to them, and about them. As for Mattie's vocals, I am quite impressed, even though I'm not very into the death metal-esque type screams. But it does work in this band, and I am pleased by it. Other than that, I can't wait to this these guys at this summer's Warped Tour!

Alpha_Wolf
    Satanist band saying what they believe: YEAH MAN THAT'S METAL. Christian band saying what they believe: THAT'S GOING TOO FAR.
    jimmy-moto
    EpiExplorer wrote: The lyrics are evil, not in the good way.
    What is evil about the lyrics?
    TremontiAddict
    EpiExplorer wrote: Also, this: 'Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword' Mathew 10:34 The rest of the quote goes on to explain that, if you love your parents more than Jesus, you're going to hell. I dont know about you, but Jesus isn't worth it.
    You're partially taking that passage out of context though. Jesus is quoting the prophet Micah in Matthew 10:35. Here is what Micah 7:5-7 says: "Do not trust a neighbor; put no confidence in a friend. Even with her who lies in your embrace be careful of your words. For a son dishonors his father, a daughter rises up against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-lawa mans enemies are the members of his own household. But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me." People in Micah's time were so corrupt that they even rose against their own families. As a result of this, Micah realized God was the only one he could put his full trust in. Jesus isn't urging anyone to dismiss their own family members. He was using Micah's quote to warn us that He is the only person we can ultimately trust to not betray us.
    synestershadows
    Also, I cannot STAND this band's lyrics. They claim to be real Christians, but their lyrics are so offensive sometimes. It's just wrong. For once, I actually agree with something EpiExplorer has said.
    vppark2
    Xomar wrote: I've listened to all previous For Today albums, this one was definitely a let down. Musically, it doesn't sound any different than any other bands today- For Today still needs to find their niche. Lyrically, I think For Today is almost offensive in their lyrics. I AM a Christian, but their lyrics could almost be misleading and offensive to people who aren't Christians. Don't get me wrong, the Gospel in its truest form is very offensive- pointing out that people are in fact sinners and need salvation, but For Today is a little too forward in my opinion. But then again, who am I to say? I'm no theological expert and I'm definitely not on a record label making music for a living- so maybe they're doing something right? There are many bands that do a great job of sharing their faith through their songs and live shows, including August Burns Red, TDWP, Haste The Day, and many more. I'll still follow up on For Today in the future, but I was not impressed with this album to say the least.
    Youve got a good point. For me, i thought this album was well done, and theyre progressing. No let down in my opinion.
    jwalk3r
    Wow.... I think the majority of people on this page are missing the point that this is a Christian band. Their lyrics are obviously expressing their beliefs and though they may seem dark at times, most of them are uplifting. "When all hell stands against us, we'll have the victory, we will prevail". Read between the lines! Whether your Christian or not you cannot deny that musically this a talented band and their lyrics are mainly just a way of spreading their message.
    vppark2
    its common sense for someone to be able to understand it. how its that offensive is beyond me.
    Xomar
    Read this:
    DistantUtopia
    say epi, besides being the comment page antichrist, what else do you do in your spare time?
    vppark2
    Well, i can see that listening to For Today just isnt worth listening to, as im seeing this whole convo about bible-related issues lol but in all fairness, i like these guys for their talent they put forth in their music. And to me, thats all that matters. No one is forcing you to believe in something. Thats just how i see it.
    Sam Rulez D00d
    vppark2
    Sam Rulez D00d wrote: I don't see why everyone is getting so butthurt over the lyrics. When I listen to music that's satanist, I don't get offended. But whatever... As far as the music goes, I really like it. Definitely not breaking any ground, but I just love the feel of every song. The mix of metal and hardcore really works for them, especially in the melodic parts. They're definitely a band to see live.
    Thank YOU. At least someone agrees...
    vppark2
    Just a head's up, this is my first review, so if any there are any tips or suggestions, feel free to speak!
    EpiExplorer
    millarso wrote: Nothing special, and, as a Christian, I really don't understand the fire-and-brimstone message. We aren't in the 1700s anymore, it is just a poor way to spread the Gospel. Real Christianity is somewhat offensive, but there is a side of love too. These guys seem to be missing that aspect. And @epi, what makes something ethical if not for religion?
    Zan595
    I know it's a tad judgmental, but I heard the name of this band and thought "This is definitely going to be a Warped Tour-Core band". And, they were. Good job on recycling more hardcore garbage, guys.
    millarso
    Human371
    EpiExplorer wrote: Condoning slavery, paedophilia, murder, 'retribution' towards apostates and genocide is probably about as unethical as it gets. And its all in the bible. All of it. Read it, very thoroughly. Also, this: 'Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword' Mathew 10:34 The rest of the quote goes on to explain that, if you love your parents more than Jesus, you're going to hell. I dont know about you, but Jesus isn't worth it.
    Glad to see you know your Bible, brotha! Anyone who actual READS that book should realize what tripe most of it is. If that offends you, then you haven't read it.
    vppark2
    Well this is odd. Just got new news a couple of hours ago that David Morrison has stepped down from the band to do some missionary work in Ecuador.
    krvolok
    millarso wrote: And @epi, what makes something ethical if not for religion?
    Morality and ethics are two very arbitrary terms. Something may be unethical to one society/group, while perfectly moral or ethical to another. The above mentioned question of slavery: we today find it immoral but all the greatest civilizations of the world (Egypt, Ancient Greece, and so on...) found it to be nothing more than a natural order of things, not only ethical but also highly moral. In the end, society chooses for itself a set of practices and believes it holds to be moral or ethical, and the others not.
    vppark2
    EpiExplorer wrote: jimmy-moto wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: The lyrics are evil, not in the good way. What is evil about the lyrics? Read this: Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives. Everyone dies, but the faithful will live on to rule the Kingdom You can dismiss christianity or any religion as crazy nonsense, but when a band openly states that they are apparently spiritually 'superior' thus allowing them to openly promote a madness driven theocracy as the only way to live your life, its hard to see how anyone can support this band. Supporting this band is unethical. As is in any christian band, purely because they see us as beings to be 'oppressed with kindess and Jesus'. I'd prefer to self-determinate rather than allow dellusion to eternally frustrate me.
    Got a point, but ppl can judge the lyrics the way they want and how they want to think of it. Ill agree tho that the interpretation of the lyrics are a bit vague for that matter.
    vppark2
    Saw these guys at warped tour and got autographs and a picture. They were amazing!
    EpiExplorer
    voncameron wrote: How is this any different from emperor?
    Because they dont exist anymore? Maybe also because they weren't satanists (cuz they weren't). Like Slayer, they had religiously themed lyrics, but mostly to do with criticizing it.
    DistantUtopia
    putting aside interpretation of lyrics, i was just plain disappointed with the music. after the first song it all just blended together into generic metalcore. nothing really stood out. really lackluster.