Portraits review by For Today

• Released: Jun 9, 2009
For Today: Portraits

As an avid follower of For Today, and their record label, Facedown Records, I expected great things from the time I heard of the album. But little did I know that I would be continuously pummeled by soring guitar riffs, brutal breakdowns, and some of the most talent in the christian metal market today. Beginning with the sheer brutality and truth of the intro track Immanuel (The Challenger) and ending with the melodic, worshipfull feel of Talmidim (The Servants), this album has honeslty impacted me as a musician.

When you buy a hard copy of this album, the lyrics book has not only the lyrics, but an explanation of the song and song title. Each track name is chosen because that person made a very significant thing happen in the Bible. And these guys are "not ashamed" (from the first song, Saul Of Tarsus) of what they believe. The positive messages are not only about how to grow as a christian, but they show us how to love each other, through the power of Christ. The lyrics are all positive, and speak much truth about the power of Christ.

So, this album kicks all other metalcore christian out the window... The breakdowns, brutal, the guitar solos, amazing. And the vocals compliment the overall style of the band very well. If I lost this album, I would definetly buy it again. A few songs that stand out from all the others are Immanuel (The Redeemer) Benedictus (Song of Zechariah) and Ezekiel (The Vidionary) All these tracks portray the talent that these men have, and they continue to impress me everytime I listen to it, because they hide stuff in the music. I encourage you all to check this album out and see what For Today will teach you each time you listen to it.

imsimon
    multipleofone wrote: mmmh... Christian metalcore. If they started singing about donkeys would that make them donkey metalcore?
    Don't be a dick. Amazing band, I found these guys just as this CD was being finished up. Probably the most ridiculous bass bombs I've ever heard too
    Faux~Affliction
    Karmekarten
    Everything is great about this album except the lyrics. I feel like I'm strapped down to a chair and a bible being shoved down my throat.
    No one's forcing anything. If you listen to th band your gonna hear the lyrics. Also I'm not sure if this is metalcore.. seems more like death metal/black metal mix with maybe a small bit of metalcore in the vocals.. cuz the screams are super heavy and they only sing in a few songs.. good band. the last song gave me chills and ezeikle (the visionary) is perhaps the best song on the album.
    ShrimpthePimp
    Faux~Affliction wrote: One of my favorite albums, fantastic. I could probably take them a LITTLE bit more seriously if the lyrics were a bit more down-to-earth straightforward, but thats not too big of a deal, he's allowed to write about what he's passionate about right? And even still, the final slow song gives me the chills and I'm not even christian. This album is at the top of the metalcore scene.
    thank you for not outright disowning this great band just because of their lyrics!
    Shredder Guitar
    For Today is from around where I live, Sioux City Iowa. They've really grown since Ekklesia. I saw them on the Portraits CD Release Kickoff Tour.. and got the album the day before it hit stores. Mattie, the vocalist, is the nicest guy you'll ever meet. Love these guys!!
    xjrockax
    This has to be the best metalcore band of all time. this album changed my life forever with its amazing lyrics and hardcore breakdowns. keep supporting this amazing band an the message they promote
    Zao_89
    I agree with the lyrics being a ten. AMAZING. "I believe that God will raise the dead, and He will use these hands to do it. I believe that God will heal the sick. And He has sent me forth to say: 'He alone is God. Prepare for His victory.' "
    Corey08
    This band simply rules....Melody, Breakdowns, metalcore voice and lyrics that are so strong, passionate and well written( even if you are not a christian u have to admit those lyrics sometimes strike fear into u; )...simply awesome. Greetings from Germany, Nick
    MusicProdigy
    They were awesome when I went and saw them. The guy from In The Midst Of Lions went and did a song with them. It was amazing.
    EngilHramm
    My favorite tracks are Immanuel, Joel, Saul of Taurus and Talmidim. Inspired, strong, passionate... Simply awesome! Probably one of my favorite metalcore album! I hope I can see For Today live one day, they're amazing! Greetings from France.
    puremetal11
    Some of my favorite tracks are Ezekiel, Elijah, and Isaih. I know some of u guys don't like Mattie's preaching but I thought it was inspiring. I haven't been to church in **** knows how long but I wanted to go the second he started talking.
    Closterfoebic
    Dear lord they overuse the bass bombs on this album. Every breakdown has one! Gets old. Catchy but not too original.
    Nate117
    They're genre is christian metalcore, but to me it sounds lyk more so Christian Deathcore, much like In The Midst Of Lions.
    multipleofone
    AestheticSelkie
    CptRevell
    I approve of their attitude at least. Not trying to hide the message in lyrics, or talking around the subject. I like that.
    Darkkon
    Er, yeah I'm pretty sure it would.
    Foxmc
    they are good....but i hate the Rhythms of the drums and....TOO MUCH SCREAM!!! i mean come on...i cant figure out the chorus or the verses....but I love the lyrics
    Omgpaulslike
    Review appears to be fandom. Guitar work/tone is nice and clear, but the songs feel so empty.
    KurdtStaley
    "When you buy a hard copy of this album, the lyrics book has not only the lyrics, but an explanation of the song and song title." jesus, talk about fascist. maybe if this band wasn't looking down on me preaching me the words of non sense i could tolerate their music..