Forever The Sickest Kids review by Forever the Sickest Kids

• Released: Mar 1, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 3.7 Poor
Forever the Sickest Kids: Forever The Sickest Kids

Intering my listening session, I remembered how much fun their previous release, Underdog Alma Mater, was. It was, while not too original, a very fun pop punk meets electronica record. Those memories left soon after I hit the play button on FTSK's self titled album. The album suffers from much of the same problems as I See Stars' new record did: over production, generic as Best Choice lyrics, and riffs straight out of the pop punk recycle bin. Every song has the air of something you just KNOW you've heard before...unfortunately, no you haven't. It's just that much like everything else.

No...just, no. The band seem to be trying to force a kind of ill-begotten "maturity" out with this record, but in the process end up delivering songs that lyrically resemble more upbeat James Blunt numbers, minus any kind of creativity. Lines like "hey, I got it all worked out/it's me not you I'm thinking about" (from Good Life) come off as arrogant and misguided, and the love songs are so incredibly cheesy with so little substance they aren't even worth bothering with.

Honestly, I was extremely disappointed with FTSK's new release. When I expected just a little of their charisma and energy from UAM to carry through to this release, I got absolutely none of that. It's the same over processed pop punk album I've heard tons of times before (such as All Time Low's Nothing Personal or The Maine's Black And White). If I lost this album I honestly would have no problem with it. I'm actually considering taking it back for store credit. A sound piece of advice, however, if you are a fan of Forever The Sickest Kids, please sample a few of these songs before you consider buying. If you're very into this genre the disk may be appealing. As for me, I hope these Kids get this "maturity" bug out of their system and come back to delivering infectious, bouncy pop punk.

KeineAhnung
    Well is it just me or does anyone else like the new album? I LOVe the new songs as much as I lived the ones from Underdog. I think they did very well, especially with the new selfmade videos they produced. Well whatever others say, I am so into the new Album that no one could change my mind.
    cassie333
    are you kidding me? i am in love with this album as i am with all of them! and everyone else is in love with it too. and ATL and The Maine's album were both fantastic. There's nothing wrong with it i'd give each of the a solid 10
    Drapte
    I think this is one of the best pop punk records of all time personally. Every song on the album is a hit and could have been played on the radio if it had the right marketing.
    Immadeofwax
    Its not an as good as UAM but it is still a good solid album even if they are weaker songs