Underdog Alma Mater review by Forever the Sickest Kids

• Released: Apr 29, 2008
Forever the Sickest Kids: Underdog Alma Mater

I really love the sound of Forever The Sickest Kids' "Underdog Alma Mater". It is so far my favorite album by them. My first impression of the band I thought they were very pop, but I enjoyed the synthesizer and all of the breakdowns. I first listened to the song "Bipolar Baby" which is on their second full-length album self titled "Forever The Sickest Kids", and I didn't listen to them for a while. But later I decided to go back and I was hooked. Nothing was going to stop me from listening to FTSK. There are definitely many stories built into "Underdog Alma Mater" from their experiences throughout their teenage years.

The lyrics are perfect for a party! Or at least the upbeat rhythms throughout the album are. In the very first track "Whoa Oh! (Me Vs. Everyone)" it's a great way to start off the album and could get anyone dancing. I don't exactly know what the message is that they are trying to send out in this song, but it makes me love music anymore and I never get tired of it. The eleventh track "Coffee Break" is really touching and they have slowed it down a bit. Singer/Guitarist Caleb Turman sings about his experience leaving home at age 16, which reflects in the song and I think he is thinking about those decisions that he made and is trying to decide whether or not they were the best choices. Overall, lyrically this is a wonderful album and could cheer anyone up!

All of the songs are very well done. They do sound a little like All Time Low's "Nothing Personal" album, which I really enjoyed. If you like All Time Low's "Nothing Personal", Hit The Lights' "Skip School, Start Fights", Rocket To The Moon's "Greetings From" and there are some others for sure, but if you like those than you need to check out this album! And even if you don't this may be a breakthrough. The most impressive songs on this album would be all of them, but you definitely need to check out "Whoa Oh!", "Hey Brittany", and "Catastrophe". Those are my favorites. It's too hard to choose really. I really love all of the breakdowns throughout the album and the vocals. If this CD was stolen from me I would be very mad, so I would most definitely buy it again ASAP. I would also get something else while I am out buying "Underdog Alma Mater".

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

Drapte
    Lol yea, this album rocks, also what is funny is that 'overproduced' is an insult. The album is supposed to be heavily produced Lt.DanHasLegs, just because your used to listening to garbage produced by untalented drug addled musicians who insult anything that dare experiment with different techniques in the studio doesn't mean they are gonna disappear.