Underdog Alma Mater Review

Forever the Sickest Kids: Underdog Alma Mater
Release Date: Apr 29, 2008
Genres: Pop-Punk, Emo
Label: Universal Motown
The ultimate goal of a debut album should be to set a band apart from its peers, but it appears that Forever The Sickest Kids have missed that point with "Underdog Alma Mater".
 Lyrics: 9.7
 8.6
 8.2
Underdog Alma Mater Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 02, 2008

Sound: What I personally love about this band is the different types of music that can be heard throughout the record. Each of the 6 members all have different tastes in music and is obvious and reflective throughout this record. The guitars are great. punchy and catchy. nothing too difficult but good enough to get into. The vocals of singer Johnathon Cook and guitarist Caleb Turman and bassist Austin Bello are fanstastic and it amazes me that when a band has 1 really good singer. But 3? That's pretty sweet. The vocals are all higher pitched so some might not like that. But overall great vocals on the album. Also forever the sickest kids incorporate a synth/keyboard player into there band (as with most popular "scene bands" today) but what sets them apart is the fact that it's actually a lot of keyboard and also the techi side with synth beats crazy DJ sounds. The music will pretty much make anybody wanna get up and dance. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are my favorite part about this band. They aren't overly thought out and not overly ambitious. Just straight foward and clear and very relatable and clever. The music is on the poppy side and the lyrics and vocals fit very well with it. Plus FTSK have 3 great singers. // 10

Overall Impression: This band is fantastic. I strongly recomend everyone to buy this record. Even if you're not into the more poppy or melodic side of music, I bet it'll get you hooked enough to be wanting more form these six dudes from dallas texas. I cannot stop listening to this band since I first heard them earlier this year and I will continue to be a loyal fan till the day I die. Sure, these guys are on TRL but if you give them a chance they might grow on you. Go buy this record! // 10

Underdog Alma Mater Reviewed by: kenziethomas13, on march 01, 2013

Sound: I really love the sound of Forever The Sickest Kids' "Underdog Alma Mater". It is so far my favorite album by them. My first impression of the band I thought they were very pop, but I enjoyed the synthesizer and all of the breakdowns. I first listened to the song "Bipolar Baby" which is on their second full-length album self titled "Forever The Sickest Kids", and I didn't listen to them for a while. But later I decided to go back and I was hooked. Nothing was going to stop me from listening to FTSK. There are definitely many stories built into "Underdog Alma Mater" from their experiences throughout their teenage years. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are perfect for a party! Or at least the upbeat rhythms throughout the album are. In the very first track "Whoa Oh! (Me Vs. Everyone)" it's a great way to start off the album and could get anyone dancing. I don't exactly know what the message is that they are trying to send out in this song, but it makes me love music anymore and I never get tired of it. The eleventh track "Coffee Break" is really touching and they have slowed it down a bit. Singer/Guitarist Caleb Turman sings about his experience leaving home at age 16, which reflects in the song and I think he is thinking about those decisions that he made and is trying to decide whether or not they were the best choices. Overall, lyrically this is a wonderful album and could cheer anyone up! // 10

Overall Impression: All of the songs are very well done. They do sound a little like All Time Low's "Nothing Personal" album, which I really enjoyed. If you like All Time Low's "Nothing Personal", Hit The Lights' "Skip School, Start Fights", Rocket To The Moon's "Greetings From" and there are some others for sure, but if you like those than you need to check out this album! And even if you don't this may be a breakthrough. The most impressive songs on this album would be all of them, but you definitely need to check out "Whoa Oh!", "Hey Brittany", and "Catastrophe". Those are my favorites. It's too hard to choose really. I really love all of the breakdowns throughout the album and the vocals. If this CD was stolen from me I would be very mad, so I would most definitely buy it again ASAP. I would also get something else while I am out buying "Underdog Alma Mater".

// 8

Underdog Alma Mater Reviewed by: seyrine, on december 11, 2009

Sound: Underdog Alma Mater - Deluxe Edition Forever The Sickest Kids (FTSK) is one of the new bands I've heard this past year. And, from first impressions, they brought a different techno-like style to pop rock. It sounded fresh, but hardly innovative. It sounds a bit over-produced (sometimes I cannot understand the lyrics entirely). However, since this is the deluxe version, we have 17 new tracks to play. The new tracks are basically alternate versions, demos, re-mixes and covers of other artists. The alternate versions of their songs sound a bit better, because they are not as over-dubbed as the first 13 songs are. For example, the song Believe Mme I'm Lying has three versions in this album. So you can hear how FTSK's sound "evolved" to what it is now. The new tracks give you something new to hear and, depending on whether you are a fan or not, will either please you or just simply put you off the band altogether. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty straight-forward, no frills or big words or fancy rhymes. They are easy to relate to, if you can understand them first. It's not the overly romantic words we often hear in mainstream music. Though I think that some of the songs don't have a regular flow to the (Verse, refrain, chorus, verse, etc). It's not on all the songs, but it's kinda nice. FTSK has a number of vocalists, which honestly I find it hard to tell apart sometimes, and they manage to blend their voices evenly (not one vocalist over-powering the others voice), even on the demo tracks. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, the deluxe edition of Underdog Alma Mater is an easy recommendation if you're already a fan of FTSK or if you like their genre. It mixes old with the new, and also provides a great cover of Taylor Swift's Love Story. Think of it as All Time Low or The Maine mixed with a bit of techno. New listeners, however, will have a hard time appreciating this album. It's not that it's not good, it's just that it's too different for some. It's not going to redefine a genre, but it will give future artists something new to think about. // 8

Comments