The Rising Tied review by Fort Minor

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
Fort Minor: The Rising Tied

The sound is the element of this record that absolutely glows. Mike Shinoda and his friends did a spectacular job on the sound for this record. The thing that I love the most about this CD is how big and structured the overall sound is. "Remember the Name" uses violins in the backgorund to give the song a catchy, melodic kind of rhythm mixed with cool rap beats. Several songs such as "Right Now" and "Where'd You Go" incorporate the use of a piano to give the songs a dark, moody feel that works very well with Mike Shinoda's lyrics. However, the sound absolutely explodes during the closing track, "Slip Out The Back." The song starts out with the sounds just a bell ringing, then gradually escalates, including a piano in the 2nd verse, with violins entering during the 2nd chorus, until the song explodes with a backing choir coming in with all of the other instruments to make the song the single greatest closing track that I have ever heard on ANY album. No problems in the sound department whatsoever.

The lyrics on this album are good for the most part. Mike and his friends do a great job making the songs catchy and fun to listen to overall. However, there are some moments on the album in which the lyrics do need work. The lyrics can get a little corny sometimes, and the moments where they did really stuck out to me while I was listening to the album. But there are times where the lyrics are very well-written. "Believe Me," for example, the lyrics are very clever and catchy. They combine with the music to make the song a highlight on the album. Yes, the songwriting is weak at times, but for the most part, Mike does a great job of making the lyrics flow with the songs and give each song it's specific style and feel.

I will tell you right now that I was not looking forward to this album. I thought that it would be garbage because I personally cannot STAND rap music and I thought that the Jay-Z/Linkin Park Collision Course album was without a doubt one of the worst albums that I've heard in my life. This album is unlike any rap that I have ever heard before, and when you listen to the album you will understand what I'm talking about. This album is the kind of thing that will appeal to people who really don't listen to rap, and it will also appeal to people who are rap buffs as well. I think that the thing that really makes this album special is that the sounds are so expertly crafted. The Rising Tied flawlessly fuses deep, melodic sounds with catchy everyday rap beats to give a unique feel to the album that sets it apart from everything else. Another thing that sets it apart from everything else out there is the fact that Mike Shinoda wrote each song on this album to communicate a specific thing. "Kenji" is a song documenting the story of Mike's father during World War II, when the Japanese people that were within America were forced to leave their homes and go to certain camps because the United States was looking for Japanese spies after the Pearl Harbor bombings. This song has no chorus, but it is written that way to better convey the emotion that Mike is trying to get across to the listener. Also, "Where'd You Go" was written with the intention of conveying how people feel who have family members that are away from them due to their jobs. Overall, this is a great album that is worthy of your time and deserves to be appreciated for it's uniqueness and overall quality. Overall, this is an impressive album that is worthy of your time and deserves to be appreciated for it's uniqueness and overall quality. It's fun to listen to, it's got a lot of great songs (my favorites being Slip Out the Back, for it's fantastic sound quality, and Right Now, for it's array of heartfelt messages about unexpected life changing events, people taking things for granted, and how someone out there always has it worse than you), and it deserves to be seen as something more than just another cliche-filled hip-hop album, but more as a true work of art. Give it a shot.

Isiahs
    Musically, Mike Shinoda's solo project Fort Minor is more mellow than you might expect from Linkin Park's MC/singer. Essentially a mid-tempo hip-hop album (executive produced by Shawn Carter, aka Jay-Z), The Rising Tied is almost completely stripped of rock guitars and aggressive melodies, and it relies on a varied mixture of menacing and truly buoyant beats. Fans of Shinoda's band will hear a nice change of pace from the Linkin Park template, while others who dismiss that band's calculated aggression as a bit too dramatic may just hear a welcome diversion. Maybe. The music isn't the problem here (at least, not the biggest problem) --it's the lyrics. Album center-point "In Stereo" is sonically menacing in a schlocky horror movie way, but the words are so incredibly cheesy that it's impossible to take seriously. With no discernable irony, Shinoda moves way into Fred Durst territory, begging for street credibility. The song's appeal to "virtual street" status by referencing GTA San Andreas doesn't nearly save it, and it's unfortunately emblematic of much of the album. The Rising Tied features a couple decent cameos from Black Thought (The Roots), but what should have been an intriguing appearance by Common on "Back Home" just sounds uninspired. The album's saving grace (or maybe its Hail Mary) is the insightful "Cigarettes", where Shinoda cuts through the corny suburban-ghetto aesthetic of the album and delivers some memorable industry criticism. The song takes aim at the marketing of hip-hop's overpraised vices ("guns, drugs, and misogyny"), which Shinoda portrays as a stupid addiction that even fans can't really explain the use of ("just something that I do...I don't want the truth/I want to feel f*cking cool"). The song is easily the album's high point and unfortunately, not much else here measures up to it. - Cory O'Malley
    vodkaboy
    iv never heard them but my mate told me they had good backing beats but crap lyrics
    6string1der
    I'm also not a fan of hip-hop, but this album grabbed my attention and I listened to it all the way through. It's very good.
    dr00pa
    I just bought it... very good album Petrified sux Kenji rox!!!
    thesimo
    i got it too, its definitely a unique sound to shinoda, never heard anything like it personally. Definitely worth a look in my opinon.