Supermodel review by Foster the People

• Released: Mar 18, 2014
Foster the People: Supermodel

Following up the critically-acclaimed and much beloved "Torches" seemed an almost insurmountable task for the incredibly talented Mark Foster and his partners in crime. When I listened to "Torches" all the way through for the first time, I was absolutely in love and waited with bated breath to hear something new come from this breath of fresh air in the music industry. When I first heard news of Foster the People's newest album being "more organic" I wondered, both worried and excited, what the result would turn out to be. I was not disappointed when I listened to "Supermodel." From slinky, fast-paced funk songs like "Best Friend" to the supercharged, angst-fueled track "A Beginner's Guide to Destroying the Moon" all the way down to the catchy and beautifully crafted "Coming of Age" and the mellow, sweet tones, invoking both pain and hope, of "Nevermind," this album, through and through, was one of the most solid works of art I have heard all year. Foster the People knocks it out of the ballpark with this album, ranging from all emotions and genres, and tearing through them with the grace of razor-sharp scissors through paper. The album was wonderfully produced where you can hear, recognize, and appreciate every single subtle undertone in each track, and all of the instruments hit you with their own individual force, yet meld together in complete united synchronicity. A masterpiece of an album, best of 2014 to date.

The lyrics for this album are catchy and well sung by lead singer and creative mind hive Mark Foster. The lyrics range in depth from song to song, some being somewhat absurd, but memorable, and some just being downright emotionally heart-wrenching. Mark Foster reportedly stated that the album was a concept based on modern-day consumerism and the ugly-underbelly of conglomerate Hollywood, and does a good job accentuating his views on what Beverly Hills projects as successful and how the public responds to this, thus the album name "Supermodel" derives itself from, Foster saying that people live their lives based on "likes" and "retweets" and how everyone poses as a "supermodel" to impress people they don't even know. Mark Foster himself shows a much wider range of his vocal finesse throughout the album, from his trademark upper-middle register, to falsetto, and on some very melodic and beautifully sung songs, you'll be able to catch a low register that is very unlike Foster, but suits him well in the strangest, but best of ways. Kudos to Foster for being one of my personal vocal Gods, with this album only standing to reinforce my point.

Foster the People have always been commercially driven, we all know we've heard a slew of their songs from "Torches" played relentlessly on a wide array of different radio stations. With this album, they've taken one foot out of the box of creativity and left one foot in, saying not that they're trying to play it safe, but that they've grown into such a powerful force in the music industry of today, that they're allowing themselves to branch out and explore while still keeping their pop roots, and the product is a masterpiece deluxe, with no track to find lacking. My favorite songs personally are "Ask Yourself," "Nevermind," "Coming of Age," "Best Friend," "A Beginner's Guide to Destroying the Moon," and "Goats in Trees," definitely the high points of the whole thing, although, there are no low points to find, so there's no troubles there. I love this album and am absolutely obsessed with it, it playing in my car everytime I drive and playing on my laptop everytime I'm home, the only thing I hate is that I'll have to wait for another Foster the People album to come out probably sometime in the next two years. But for now, I have "Torches" and now "Supermodel" to remind me why these guys are one of my favorite bands of all time, and God forbid I ever somehow lose this album, because I guarantee you, I would lose my mind if I couldn't get it back. This album is a definite for your respective playlists, and if you were worried like I was that just because the songs aren't all electronic and super-poppy, shove-it-in-your-face catchy, don't be. Where this album lacks the commercially-driven SUPER radio hits that "Torches" held, it makes up for it and more with the level of depth and attention paid to each track.