Traffic And Weather review by Fountains of Wayne

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
Fountains of Wayne: Traffic And Weather

This album is the latest release by Fountains. They are something of a one-hit-wonder, unfortunately, because their hit single "Stacy's Mom" is really the only song most people know. Traffic And Weather delves more deeply into "power pop," and less of the great mainstream rock-and-roll sound of their previous album: Welcome Interstate Managers. Tracks like "Someone To Love," "Traffic And Weather," and "Strapped For Cash" really emphasize the pop side of Fountains, while tracks like "92 Subaru," and "Yolanda Hayes" sound like they're straight out of the '80s (when my mom heard "92 Subaru," she thought it was Dire Straits). "I-95" rings slightly of "All Kinds Of Time" from 'Managers, and "Someone To Love" (Featuring Melissa Auf Der Maur, don't ask me who that is) sounds like a very white Black Eyed Peas, lol. Over all, although Fountains has changed their sound quite a bit, they are still unique, and still lovable. The only songs I didn't absolutely love were "Revolving Dora," and "Seatbacks And Traytables."

Chris Collingwood is a genius! Really, Fountains lyrics have always been good, and this is no exception. With complicated rhymes and the use of brand names like Dockers and The King Of Queens, Every line has imparts a different feeling, or evokes an image of dull, everyday life. Through the eyes of a cubicle drone, or a lonely single.

Every song on this album is instantly identifiable as a Fountains song. Their style has come a long way since their early years. The most impressive songs: "I-95," Collingwood evokes the feeling of long road trips late at night perfectly. The complicated mix and return of the trumpet in "Strapped For Cash" also makes my list. I'd talk about more, but it's late, and you should buy it anyway! I love the genius lyrics, I hate the guitar playing, well, I guess I don't hate the guitar playing, but Jody Porter is not playing to the best of his ability! I would like to see more solos from him in the future. Solos from songs like "Bright Future In Sales" from 'Managers, and "92 Subaru" from 'Traffic are the best parts of the instrumental aspect of Fountains. Their lyrics are perfect, now they need to work on their instrumental parts. I would buy this again in a flash if it was stolen.

thndrcypher
    First Comment! Great album that really defines the band. Someone really needs to tab "Planet of Weed"
    EVH_iS_g0d
    Very unflattering description they gave for me:
    Traffic And Weather is hardly a bad record, and should satisfy anyone who has loved Fountains Of Wayne before, even if it doesn't quite excite them.
    FOW IS THE FUTURE OF ROCK AND ROLL!
    opium07
    yeah the new album's relly incredible... i really love how FoW delivers a story... And oh.. "Melissa Auf der Maur" is HOLE's bassist GOD! i love her..