Welcome Interstate Managers review by Fountains of Wayne

• Released: Jun 10, 2003
Fountains of Wayne: Welcome Interstate Managers

This album sounds fantastic. I was throroughly impressed at how diverse the tracks were and the ability level of the members of the band. There are so many different styles of music on one album, it's amazing. I love Bright Future In Sales, All Kinds Of Time and Hackensack. I would have to say those are the top three in my opinion. Fountains of Wayne are highly underrated and it's unfair for anybody to say that they aren't a good band just because that person doesn't like Stacy's Mom (which I think is a catchy, fun tune but not near their best) and they haven't even heard the album. People that give it a chance will be glad they did.

I wouldn't say the lyrics were as powerful as the music but still they did a very good job with them. Although at times very plainspoken and straightforward, I found many lyrics in songs that I thought were very clever. I like the way some of them poke fun at society and technology. You have to pay close attention to realize it sometimes, though. As far as the singers skills, I think he has a unique sound to his voice and has a good delivery of the vocals. The backing vocals are also very good and easily noticed.

On a whole this album is amazing - one of the best rock albums in the past few years, in my opinion. Every person I have suggested it to so far and has listened to it has loved it. At first I wasn't sure what I would think of them but I soon realized that these guys are a great band and are to be taken a lot more seriously than Stacy's Mom which I don't think acturately portrays their music (although I have nothing against it). I think the best song on here are in order like this: 1. Bright Future In Sales 2. All Kinds Of Time 3. Hackensack 4. Mexican Wine 5. No Better Place 6. Hey Julie I'm not really sure after that. There are other good songs but those would have to be my favorites. I recommend it to any rock music fan. You are bound to like it or at least some part of it. It's definitely worth buying and giving a chance.