Welcome Interstate Managers Review

7.8
 9.6
reviews (7) user comments vote for this album:
Welcome Interstate Managers Reviewed by: geekynerd, on september 26, 2003

Sound: Very catchy pop-punk music. Fountains of Wayne don't try to be the good old "PURE PUNK" that Good Charlotte knows it's not. These songs are very, very poppy, and very, very catchy. "Hey Julie" will dig itself into your head for about a week, at least. Nothing innovative, in fact, nothing even new. I'm pretty sure these riffs are recycled, but it's still catchy. // 8

Lyrics: This is where Fountains of Wayne shine. They take sentences that we use commonly as phrases or such, and the paste them together in this collage/medley type thing that you've heard before but haven't. The lyrics are usually amazing, not philosophical, but can be just as depressing or emphatic. // 10

Overall Impression: This was a decent album, although I feel that some of their songs on this album don't live up to their previous two albums's songs (neither of which I own, so I may be wrong). They shine on the horrible rhymes, yet still somehow great song "Mexican Wine", they dig into their inner rock star in "Bright Future in Sales", and, whether you admit it or not, "Hey Julie" is great to sing along to. Overall, this album is too long, and has excessive fat that could use trimming. If you're a big FoW fan, then buy one of their other two, and if you have them, then by all means get this. P.S. I can't stand "Stacy's Mom". // 8

Welcome Interstate Managers Reviewed by: 3EBdude, on november 21, 2003

Sound: This album sounds fantastic. I was throroughly impressed at how diverse the tracks were and the ability level of the members of the band. There are so many different styles of music on one album, it's amazing. I love Bright Future In Sales, All Kinds Of Time and Hackensack. I would have to say those are the top three in my opinion. Fountains of Wayne are highly underrated and it's unfair for anybody to say that they aren't a good band just because that person doesn't like Stacy's Mom (which I think is a catchy, fun tune but not near their best) and they haven't even heard the album. People that give it a chance will be glad they did. // 10

Lyrics: I wouldn't say the lyrics were as powerful as the music but still they did a very good job with them. Although at times very plainspoken and straightforward, I found many lyrics in songs that I thought were very clever. I like the way some of them poke fun at society and technology. You have to pay close attention to realize it sometimes, though. As far as the singers skills, I think he has a unique sound to his voice and has a good delivery of the vocals. The backing vocals are also very good and easily noticed. // 8

Overall Impression: On a whole this album is amazing - one of the best rock albums in the past few years, in my opinion. Every person I have suggested it to so far and has listened to it has loved it. At first I wasn't sure what I would think of them but I soon realized that these guys are a great band and are to be taken a lot more seriously than Stacy's Mom which I don't think acturately portrays their music (although I have nothing against it). I think the best song on here are in order like this: 1. Bright Future In Sales 2. All Kinds Of Time 3. Hackensack 4. Mexican Wine 5. No Better Place 6. Hey Julie I'm not really sure after that. There are other good songs but those would have to be my favorites. I recommend it to any rock music fan. You are bound to like it or at least some part of it. It's definitely worth buying and giving a chance. // 10

Welcome Interstate Managers Reviewed by: meadowskid, on march 03, 2004

Sound: I bought this cd thinking that most of the songs would be the same genre as "Stacy's Mom" but for some reason it wasn't. // 2

Lyrics: I listened to the cd once and wasn't satisfied so I really haven't really payed attention to the songs lyrics. But one thing to say about this, who sings about someone's mom being hot? What a screwed up cd! // 2

Overall Impression: If you liked "Stacy's Mom" buy the single, if you like very different songs then don't, but seriously don't buy this cd, it's a complete waste of money. // 2

Welcome Interstate Managers Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 05, 2004

Sound: Rock pop. Unashamedly pop with "Stacy's Mom" but still rock with "Bright Future in Sales". Mellow with Valley Winter Song and unbelieveably catchy "Hey Julie". Theres even a country song at the end called "Hung up on you" which is the best country song I've ever heard in my life (not difficult admittedly!!). FoW are well worth a listen to. // 10

Lyrics: FoW can be funny and stupid but can still touch you when they feel like it. An album with the line..."I saw you talkin', to Christopher Walken" has to be good! Seriously though, excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: Fountains of Wayne are finally gettting recognised for the fantastic music they have been making over the last 8 years. Their first (self titled) ablum rocked, their second had at least lots of excellent tunes and now this, Welcome Interstate Managers, shows that if you are gonna make a "singles" album, then FoW can do it with the best of them. Stacys Mom is a cracking, fun tune, but "Bright Future in Sales","Hackensack" and "Valley Winter Song" display the bands talents much better. It's funny how they had to "dumb down" with Stacys Mom to get their other music noted. Fountains of Wayne are legends. Anyone who I've recommended the cd to loves it. Go - BUY IT now...GO...stop reading this and GO!!! // 10

Welcome Interstate Managers Reviewed by: DemonRiffs, on april 19, 2004

Sound: Firstly you should know that while Blink 182 and The Bloodhound Gang have made humour a strong vein in their work, Fountains Of Wayne are still the masters of irony and observation. One listen to the painful but true 'Stacy's Mom' (all about a crush on a girlfriend's mother) will underscore the fact that only Fountains Of Wayne can blend urgent rock, eighties-flava-ed rock with elegantly arched eyebrows. // 8

Lyrics: Welcome Interstate Managers lyrics are quite unique,it is a welcome aural equivalent of a great collection of short stories. Each song offers a little snippet from a life, and presenting a range of characters to fill the musical spectrum. // 8

Overall Impression: You'll Love It. // 8

Welcome Interstate Managers Reviewed by: Poonbaba, on november 10, 2005

Sound: As the principle songwriters for Fountains Of Wayne, Chris Collingwood and Adam Schlesinger bring a certain pop sensibility to the predominately rock sound of the band. The songs are fantastic right down to their core, but the band manages to add more styles and sounds to their songs without ruining them. In fact, the songs only get better when they are transformed into full productions. Each track on Welcome Interstate Managers has it's own distinctive personality, a few of which take a sharp turn from what you would expect from rock band. "Hung Up On You," with it's country inspirations sets the prime example. In this department, lead guitarist Jody Porter shines with his ability to play a six string in almost ANY style. Despite his shying away from lengthy solos, his lead work adds a new depth to every song, proving he can stand up to any of today's guitar gurus. WIM also features FOW's use of keyboards which, though subtle, manage to expand even more on the album's appeal. All in all, the sound is that of a band that has found it's place in today's world of expanding genre's. A maturity and confidence is definetely evident in the band that once covered Britney Spears' "...Baby One More Time." // 7

Lyrics: Singer Chris Collingwood certainly puts his stamp Welcome Interstate Managers with his own unique style. The often tongue-in-cheek lyrics range from deep and reflective (Valley Winter Song) to downright non-sensical (Mexican Wine). However, he still manages to catch your attention on every song. There are tracks about coming home to your girl after a hard day at work (a universally appealing subject) to quarterbacks reflecting on life while he's about to make a game-winning pass. And, of course, there's that one song about the MILF. You know, that song about Stacy's Mom? // 6

Overall Impression: Ultimately, Welcome Interstate Managers will forever be remembered for it's only hit, the irritatingly catchy "Stacy's Mom," which is unfortunate because the album contains so much more depth than that. I would definetely place it as one of the top albums of 2003. The album is perfect for joy riding in your car and simply enjoying life one day at a time. Standout tracks include: Mexican Wine, No Better Place, Valley Winter Song, All Kinds of Time, Hey Julie, Supercollider. Overall, this album is one of my favorites and is an enormous step in the right direction for Fountains Of Wayne. // 9

Welcome Interstate Managers Reviewed by: impeachpedro10, on february 06, 2006

Sound: The music is a very rockin major-chord type. Its got some very catchy rhythms and sounds that you will hear later on in the day, playing in your head after listening to a song. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics I found to be very well written and thought out. There are a few interesting drug refrences: "I used to fly for United Airlines, but then I got fired for reading High Times/Come on, get your ass out of bed, you heard what the man said, the crew has already gone, we were all kinda high but man what were you on?" The singing is great, very distinct. You'll hear it somewhere else and say: Hey! I know that! // 10

Overall Impression: I'm sure you are looking into this review to see if this band has any other good songs but Stacy's Mom. It does. I'll say, "have you heard of a band called Fountains Of Wayne?" and people will start to sing Stacy's Mom. Stacy's Mom is great, but after listening to this album over, I begin to skip that song in order to listen to other ones faster, like All Kinds Of Time, Valley Winter Song, or Yours and Mine. I would buy this album 10 times over again if something happened to it 10 times. I have to honestly say, Fountains Of Wayne is the most underrated band of all time. This album is the best I have ever listened to, truthfully. I don't really like Halle's Waitress or that one country type song (you'll know it when you hear it), but mediocre songs out of and entire album of what should be top chart hits, is worth it. You got a spare 15$ and enjoy alternative rock, this album will change your life! // 10

Comments