What A Terrible Thing To Say review by Four Letter Lie

• Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Four Letter Lie: What A Terrible Thing To Say

Four Letter Lie is currently signed to Victory Records, a label that plays or has played host to quite a large list of successful hardcore artists including Atreyu, Between the Buried and Me, Silverstein, and Thursday. Obviously, the artists on the label find a niche in the emo-tinged pop-hardcore, and Four Letter Lie is no exception. In fact, their latest album, What A Terrible Thing To Say is a little too reminiscent for its own good; the album is like a little brother of UnderOATH's They're Only Chasing Safety with a deeper scream, or even a poppier Atreyu sans crushing guitars, or a slightly harder Silverstein. To put it simply, Four Letter Lie doesn't do much of anything to make them stand out. The screams, the guitars, the drums, and the entire feel of the album will draw fans of modern pop-hardcore to them, but will leave a lot to be desired in terms of originality and intellectuality. Breakdowns occur occasionally, and choppy guitars under lozenge-longing screams saturate the album. Nonetheless, this will be a fairly good listen to anyone who is a fan of the genre, especially since it's just so damn catchy.

The lyrics on the album are, dare I say, typical. Most revolve around a girl and the singer's undying love for her, or how she broke his heart and is evil; as the lead screamer puts it, She must be the devil. Not to say the lyrics aren't as catchy as the flu, they're just very typical (ironically, one of the best lines in the album, from the title track, is We've heard this all before.) Lines like those in Charlatan (if this is what's called love, I've been betrayed) represent the style of the album, love lost, love wanted, or love in transit of the great trek called being a teenager.

If you find UnderOATH's They're Only Chasing Safety to be a good listen, give this album a run-through; it's light, pop-influenced hardcore will definitely ring a few bells, along with some genre-staple necessities like the infamous clave drum-and-guitar and the all too familiar breakdown reminding you of the all-too apparent lack of true ingenuity in the album. Regardless of the lack of originality, though, What A Terrible Thing To Say does have a few things going for them: they've got the catchiness of pop down-pat (I find myself singing a few chorus lines with them from time to time) and their music isn't half bad for the genre they play. Nonetheless, the album is a fair attempt, but ultimately lacking. If you're not a truly devoted fan, don't bother the purchase, just listen to the singles.

ReiDSaN
    RedNovember wrote: But I like Atreyu. At least I did before I heard them in Wal-Mart today. *shudder* You know it's time to stop listening when they're on walmart's rotation.
    Heaven forbid a band you like becomes popular! Then you won't be unique and speical any more!
    bloodgiver
    I don't see where you say they aren't original. The guitars for What a terrible thing to say (song) and i dont speak to dead men are amazing. Drums speak for themselves on what a terrible thing to say (song). +1 if someone can tab What a terrible thing to say (song)
    ismellfunny13
    rock roll boy 7 wrote: no more to say other than +1 hes definetly right, would anyone here with likes this band do me a favor and tab cake eater, I would love you.
    +1 about the cake eater tab
    sg_player
    this band isnt terrible. their pretty good for this genre . haha my names connor and i guess thats one of the guys names in the band
    rock roll boy 7
    bite_the_bullet wrote: See, the funny thing about reading reviews on this band is seeing people attack the image and personality of the guys like SL!!! did. I'd challenge any one of you to go hang out with Brian or Kevin or Connor for an hour and not think they're great guys who are far from trite and boring. As for the played out licks and lyrics quip, I'd love to see you write something that sells as well as even their last (albeit not as great) album did. And when you can't, you'll realize why you should hold your tongue when you think about insulting a band like this. So screamo isn't your thing... Then don't listen to the album and don't post hate messages on the review of it. Just go about your depressing existence and listen to your grindcore or deathcore or whatever other core you're partial to and leave the reviewing to unobjective parties. Please and thank you.
    Josie125
    Being a female and in my early 20s, I'm tired of testosterone-fueled hardcore/metalcore/deathcore with lyrics that can't be understood. I've done my time at different venues giving myself whiplash and quite a few bumps and bruises. I like popcore. It's toned-down hardcore and beefed-up pop. Perfect for dare I say it us ladies as well as guys. Now for the UG Team reviewer ...maybe you should listen to Charlatan again. It isn't a love song at all...it's about working with the music industry. Being that they are signed with Victory I'm surprised the song is a tame as it is. Also, the song What a Terrible Thing to Say is appropriate as it is about negative press. Reviewers that don't like popcore give "shi??y reviews. Luckily, I have a mind of my own and have bought the CD after listening to it on Fuse. I like it and give the band props for a CD that is well done. Also, hate to burst the originality bubble but it's almost impossible at this point to invent anything new in the screamo genre. Bands are refining their sound as opposed to redefining it. As for the negative comment about Atreyu being on the Walmart rotation...you would wet your pants if you heard your band (if you had one)on the Walmart rotation.
    bite_the_bullet
    RedNovember
    And a shit band. I never got "pop hardcore". WTF is that anyway? Something that should have never mixed. Especially in the way it is mixing in today's music. But I like Atreyu. At least I did before I heard them in Wal-Mart today. *shudder* You know it's time to stop listening when they're on walmart's rotation.
    SL!!!
    vulgarism wrote: "...artists including Atreyu, Between the Buried and Me, Silverstein, and Thursday. Obviously, the artists on the label find a niche in the emo-tinged pop-hardcore..." I cannot believe you just threw in BTBAM as an example for emo-tinged pop-hardcore. The other bands you mentioned, I understand. However, BTBAM is nowhere near emo-tinged pop-harcore...
    Yeah, actually Thursday isn't pop at all. The most hardcore thing about Victory was Earth Crisis and they're a bunch of vegan-warrior cock suckers. In other news, this band is trite, boring, and chock full of played out imagery/hair/attitude/lyrics/licks/and everything else. Really nothing to be excited about.
    goal91
    yeah...but a day to remember is alot better. or atleast i think so anyway. this cd is a step up from let your body take over though. a few quality songs on this one. pretty/ugly and cake eater namely.
    HH_Emo_666
    besides .. whoever wrote the review should know that Atreyu isn't signed with Victory Records anymore. They're signed to Hollywood Records
    vulgarism
    "...artists including Atreyu, Between the Buried and Me , Silverstein, and Thursday. Obviously, the artists on the label find a niche in the emo-tinged pop-hardcore..." I cannot believe you just threw in BTBAM as an example for emo-tinged pop-hardcore. The other bands you mentioned, I understand. However, BTBAM is nowhere near emo-tinged pop-harcore...
    xMikeyxMetalx
    yeah they are kinda like ADTR but not quite as heavy in my opinion. i just picked this album up and its pretty good, its a little heavier than their last one i think. its good, but i like heavier stuff like the acacia strain and suicide silence.
    PhantomX20
    They sound more like a static lullaby, imo, but they are still pretty good and from the songs on their myspace the album sounds pretty sweet
    disembodied
    idk i just cant get into these guys, saw em once thought they were good live but that was because they put on a good show. not cause i really like the music. decent band. i respect all of ur opinions on them though