Rise Or Die Trying review by Four Year Strong

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
Four Year Strong: Rise Or Die Trying

Four Year Strong, from Worcester Massachusetts are best described by their fans as "pop mosh" or "bubblegum hardcore". Blending elements of modern Hardcore and Pop Punk to create a sound that they state as "exactly what they want to hear." Noteable influences include: New Found Glory, the Gorilla Biscuits and Saves the Day. Which can be heard all throughout their newest release "Rise or Die Trying". FYS incorperates breakdowns, double bass kicks, gang vocals and growls (all aspects of modern day Hardcore ex: Bury Your Dead, xLiferuinerx) along side Poppy vocals, catchy guitar licks and solid basslines. Definately giving fans something to dance to. Whether that be hardcore "throwing down" or just plain dancing.

As far as lyrics and singing, I'd have to say both are pretty solid. Guitarist and frontman Dan O'Connor, who's voice can be compared to that of Patrick Stump of fellow record label mate Fall Out Boy and Jordan Pundik of New Found Glory, sings well for this style of music, with help from guitarist Alan Day. Making an interesting shared vocal experience. As far as lyrics, typical pop punk lyrics mostly about relationships and girls, but with interesting choices of words and sayings, making awesome gang vocal chants and catchy choruses anyone can sing along too. Songs to check out on the album: "Heroes Get Remembered, Legends Never Die.", "Bada Bing! With A Pipe!", "Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!", "Men are From Mars, Women are From Hell."

Overal impression, this is one of my favourite albums of all time. I love every single song on this album, there's nothing to hate in my opinion. I recomend this to fans of: Set Your Goals, New Found Glory, A Day To Remember, Fall Out Boy and Forever the Sickest Kids. Also, this band puts on an amazing live performance, touring with such bands as: From First To Last, the Starting Line and the southern powerhouses, Every Time I Die. Check them out on the Softcore tour across USA this fall!

tank555666
    To me, it sounds like A Day To Remember but with less screaming, New Found Glory, and Fall Out Boy Mixed all together in one big great extravaganza! except i don't like Fall Out Boy that much....but still AWESOME!!!
    amart1892
    so, they dont sound like fall out boy, they are more comparable to new found glory, but i like FYS a ton better, and Motion City Soundtrack is a beast so idk why u said nobody listens to them
    MurrayAberdeen
    how are these guys anything like fall out boy? i know people who love fall out boy but think fys are complete shit. i personally prefer fys and think theyre so much more musically talented.
    sprkidjar
    hmm. their singer doesnt sound like the singer from fall out boy, although the lyrics and rhythm guitars are quite similar. if you listen to one song on the cd, however, youve pretty much listened to all the other tracks. many of them share the same chord progressions, rhytms, or melodies
    mathias8927
    wait, wait a minute, sound like fall out boy in what respect? rhythm guitar? thats seriously a joke, right? I don't recall FOB ever having guitar parts like FYS, even on take this to your grave. And the quip about MCS, yea, sorry, but you are a ****ing idiot. sorry. but you are.
    guitarkev33
    i think the fall out boy reference goes to their cd "take this to your grave" which is their best album. anyways FYS is an amazing band and this cd was really good
    zink10192
    they don't sound like FOB, if i read this article before i heard of this band, and read that they sound like FOB i would have never listened to them
    elleild
    I like the guitar parts and i see why they use powerchords cause it takes a lot to sing at the same time.