Stop Drop And Roll review by Foxboro Hot Tubs

• Released: Dec 8, 2007
Foxboro Hot Tubs: Stop Drop And Roll

The speculation that these guys are the Green Day boys in disguise is understandable when it comes to the sound of this EP. Although the sound has been converted completely to sound more '60s, there is still a very clear, punky sound that can be linked almost directly with Green Day. The power-chords are there and the fast "aggressive" use of them is inescapable. The guitars, however, are much clearer than anything that Green Day would have attempted under the "Green Day" name. "Ruby Room", "She's Not A Saint She's A Celebrity" and "Mother Mary" just follow that basic power-chord sound. Other songs like "Red Tide" (and the second guitar in "Mother Mary") have the guitar playing chords once and letting them ring for a nice, clean, love-love-love, '60s sound. You know what I mean, There was also the use of organs on some of the tracks. A Hammond organ, if I'm not mistaken. The bass just follows whatever the guitar plays for most of the EP, yet sounds very Mike Dirnt-ish. The drums sound a lot like Tre Cool if you stop to listen to them. The guitar and vocals are obviously Billie Joe. Whether the whole Green Day clan are involved in this recording or not is questionable, but I think they are.

Sounds very 60's, but are obviously Billie Joe singing. The odd thing is that he seems to scream at some points, which would be odd for a 60's band, I suppose. I liked the use of the backing singers singing "I don't wanna go now" in 'Stop Drop and Roll' and 'Woo woo!' in "Ruby Room" to give it more of the edge that it needs. The added 'Woo Woo!' in "Ruby Room" makes it sound a lot like The Rolling Stones' "Sympathy For The Devil", so they're doing their job, aren't they? One downside that I found, however, is that most 60's songs were about love etc. but there's only 1 or 2 tracks on here that seemed to be about love, only a small point, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

You might have to have an acquired taste in music to like this, maybe not. Have a listen, see what you think. It is free, after all. I quite like it, but that's me. Hardcore Green Day fans might not like it. Just download it and see how you feel!

bowdowntomono
    its an awesome EP. and i only heard about it because of a news article on here! thanks! awesome, i havent listened to anything else for a few days.
    mushroom2
    i keep meaning to listen to this i might just wait for the new green day record instead
    getts182
    I thought it was okay. Nothing really fantastic, but it is fun to listen to Green Day try something different (as with The Network) and have fun doing something that's not under the Green Day banner. Still looking forward to the American Idiot follow-up, though.
    Peter21UK
    I quite like it, and i'm a green-day fan Not bad at all, just listen to it as if it's a 60's period piece and it goes down well