Foxy Shazam review by Foxy Shazam

• Released: Apr 13, 2010
Foxy Shazam: Foxy Shazam

With Michael Jackson dead, there is room for a new King of Pop, and Eric Sean Nally is it. Foxy Shazam is a six-piece outfit with Nally at the center of it all, and every aspect of it works. They play some really soaring tunes that are reminiscent of Queen, but with a modern twist. While an acquired taste, this is an incredibly satisfying disc once you get into it. 01. "Bombs Away" - This intro track does a good job of raising the curtain on the album, especially to new listeners, since it shows that the band has some serious attitude in addition to some serious talent. 02. "Wanna-Be Angel" - A great keyboard piece in this song compliments Nally's "I don't give a f--k what you think" vocal hook. Phenomenal track. 03. "Count Me Out" - One of my favorite tracks on the album. It has a killer riff and a great solo, but also has a really uplifting vocal piece. It is impossible not to forget your troubles while jamming out to this song. 04. "Bye Bye Symphony" - A funny chorus ("Life is a b-tch... But she's totally do-able.") is the star of this song, but it's one of the lesser tracks on the album. 05. "Unstoppable" - While listening to this song, you can knock out Mike Tyson, out-drive Tiger Woods and bang any woman within fifty miles. Sweet guitar and a great music video too. 06. "Second Floor" - A bit of a downbeat, less exciting song. It's still passable, though. 07. "Oh Lord" - Possibly the greatest piece of music put together since Mozart. This is Foxy's most soaring, bada-s and fun songs. The vocals are great, especially the chorus, which has an awesome message, great guitar and some cool piano. Best song on the album. 08. "Connect" - An odd song that's kind of gospel-influenced. Not my favorite. 09. "Only Way To My Heart" - A funny chorus, but that's about it. 10. "Killin' It" - The third song in a row that's just "okay". 11. "Evil Thoughts" - A great song to end the album with. It's a more minimalist song than their other stuff, and is a fun listen. 12. "Teenage Demon Baby" - Why this is only an iTunes bonus track I have no idea. It's got a great chorus that's really fun to sing along to. 13. "Some Kind Of Love" - Another bonus track good enough to be a single.

While the drums on this album are fun, the guitar has some sweet solos and the piano is never boring, it's the vocals that are the true star. Eric Sean Nally is one of the most talented singers that I've ever heard. He's got a great range and can scream like a motherf--ker in addition to holding a tune really well. He doesn't like to be compared to Freddie Mercury, but there's really nobody else you can compare him to. He's absolutely one of the best singers in rock and roll today.

There is nobody out there quite like Foxy Shazam. They may be a pop band, but they've got a punk rock attitude that could teach the hardest rocking band a thing or two. They're strange to look at, interesting to watch and incredibly fun to listen to. They have some great vocal hooks and put a lot of focus on their talented frontman, Eric Nally, without forgetting their guitar player's punch, their unique trumpet playing, and their piano player's skill. A couple of "alright" tracks holds back the album from being a true masterpiece, but it gets damn well close. "Count Me Out", "Unstoppable", "Oh Lord", and "Teenage Demon Baby" are all worth a listen, and in my opinion, worth a hundred plays in iTunes. Foxy Shazam is one of the few bands that can lift you up out of a deep hole and make you want to punch people in the face at the same time.

champpatch
    Foxy shazam is the most entertaining band I have ever seen live. I personally think they sound better live than on their albums and they put on such a great show. Seeing them live gives you a different perspective on the band. They are definitely worth seeing.