The Church Of Rock And Roll review by Foxy Shazam

• Released: Jan 24, 2012
Foxy Shazam: The Church Of Rock And Roll

Foxy's done it again. "The Church of Rock and Roll" is a great follow-up to Foxy Shazam's self-titled record from two years ago. They decided to keep things interesting by moving away a bit from their anthemic pop sound they were crafting pretty well, and they did it in the best way I can think of. Drawing on obvious 1970s rock influences, they made the guitars louder, the production dirtier and are effectively preaching the gospel of how to rock and roll. The album's opener, "The Church of Rock and Roll" is a rowdy opener that really kills and lets you know that Foxy won't be as upbeat and poppy as their last album was. "I Like It," the album's first single, comes next and kicks it up another notch. If you thought it couldn't get any better, then the third song they hit you with is "Holy Touch," which is reminiscent of their 2010 album and will have you singing for days. "Last Chance at Love" sounds like they ripped it right out of Joan Jett or Pat Benetar's catalog. Overall, the album's a little frontloaded, but tracks 8 and 9, "Wasted Feelings" and "The Temple," respectively, are worth it to keep listening. The songs in between those already mentioned are a little more obscure and are the low points on the album, but even when Foxy isn't great, Foxy's still pretty good.

I'm just going to go ahead and say that Eric Nally is the greatest rock and roll singer since the 80s. Album after album, he's proved his talent as a frontman and lyricist. His signature tounge-in-cheek lyrical style is preserved from the group's 2010 album. You're guaranteed a chuckle the first time you listen to what it is he likes in "I Like It". Sometimes, like in "Forever Together" and the bridge of "The Temple" it just seems like he's f--king with you. It's a little strange at times, but that seems to be his style, and I always end up respecting him for it, even if it's not mainstream. Like I said before, the album's production is a little dirtier, which works well with the aesthetic the band was going for with this disc, but if you were hoping for more of Eric being in the spotlight with his soaring vocals, it does him a little bit of a disservice. He still sounds great, but his voice doesn't quite shine as much.

I'm not sure "The Church Of Rock And Roll" is better than "Foxy Shazam", but it's definitely another great entry into this band's discography. If you're a fan of big riffs and a don't-give-a-damn attitude, Foxy is for you. They're an acquired taste for sure, but go down smooth as soon as you get over the initial "WTF" that is Foxy Shazam. Foxy Shazam continues to blow everyone else off the stage, being the best live act around and one of the most interesting groups in rock. Even though a couple of obscure songs weigh down the later end of this album, they punctuate heart-pounding, ass-kicking rock anthems. They refuse to be boring or get pigeonholed into one genre. I already can't wait to see what they serve up next.

Igamikun
    Crimson Ghost wrote: A 6.3 seems way too low for this album. Great songs and the most creative album I've heard since their last one. Every Foxy album is unique.
    I was thinking more like a 7 when doing my review as I wrote at the end. Didn't realize the 5 for Lyrics and singing would drop it down to bottom 6 territory. I still was disappointed with the album and think it's lyrics weren't quite as fulfilling as previous fare. 7 isn't bad, and this isn't the best album I've ever heard so I don't plan on giving it an undeserved score.