Parachutes Review

Frank Iero And The Patience: Parachutes
Released: Oct 28, 2016
Genre: Post-Hardcore, Emo
Label: Vagrant
While "Parachutes" is reminiscent of most of Frank Iero's other projects, it is, for the most part, a new sound.
 8.7
 8.3
 1,016
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Parachutes Reviewed by: chumisfum6789, on november 14, 2016

Sound: While "Parachutes" is reminiscent of most of Iero's other projects, it is, for the most part, a new sound. It has rougher vocals, like his early 2000s project, Pencey Prep, and is heavy on the bass and drums, like frnkiero andthe cellabation's album, "Stomachaches." Like My Chemical Romance, most songs have multiple guitar parts with one piece coming from one side of the headphones, but not the other (split audio). The sound quality was very clear. This overall makes for an interesting and enjoyable sound.

// 10

Lyrics: The lyrics seem to generally be surrounded with a feeling of loneliness or being "lost," a term used multiple times throughout the album. Most of the songs on the album have an upbeat vibe, so it is surprising that that vibe works so well with his emotional lyrics. While listening to this, I could tell that his vocal skills have improved since he fist started fronting bands in 2001.

I really love FIATP's sound and writing style, even if some people say that the lyrics can be emotional to a slightly cheesy extent (for example, "Try and starve the devil inside. Predisposition is I should've known better. We burn out dull out of spite. The family crest is our medication. This bitter pill I've swallowed down / Is greeted by a poisonous smile, a calcified heart, A cancerous gut, the appetite to give up."). // 9

Overall Impression: It is not completely unique; there are albums like it out there (such as his other albums), but it is not the kind of work that has been rehashed and redone millions of times over the years, and there is something to be said for that.

The most impressive songs were definitely "Oceans," "The Resurrectionist, or an Existential Crisis in C#," and "9/6/15." "Oceans" was just a very catchy song, and was well written. "The Resurrectionist" was impressive instrumentally, with relateable lyrics. The best song off the album, however, was "9/6/15" by far, due to the pure emotion that came through in the instruments, lyrics and vocals. I love how extreme he writes his emotions, it really is very appealing to me. One thing I don't like, however, is when his lyrics get a little too cheesy, but that's the downside to emotional lyrics.

If I lost this album, I would cry and then buy it again. In my opinion, it's worth twice its price. // 8

Comments