England Keep My Bones review by Frank Turner

• Released: Jun 6, 2011
Frank Turner: England Keep My Bones

Frank has always had what I've wanted to be in a musician, a deep soulful voice and a feeling he means what he sings. It wouldn't be fair to say this album follows the direct paths of his ones, far from it, it contains many tracks which really show Frank's Punk origin's shining through; such as "One Foot Before The Other" which are very different to what he's done before. Of course it has instant Classics, "Peggy Sang The Blues" of course being an instant hit and very similar to much of his other work. This album is much more reflective though, tackling mainly a theme of death and the past but in a much more direct way than Frank's previous albums, But still retaining the sincerity and the clear fun in Frank's music. I also found it a much more upbeat album this time, unlike "Poetry Of The Deed", which Is very sombre for the best part, this album features maybe some of Frank Turner's most lively songs, having said this though there are still the beautiful slow songs which Frank sings so well, "Nights Become Days" being among these and being one of the most awe inspiring songs on the album.

There is never a doubt with Frank's albums that the lyrics are going to be to a high standard, he has a playfulness with his words which makes him the recognised song writers of the modern age. Which much of his soulful and meaningful lyrics back in this album sporting some of the most meaningful lyrics of any of his albums. Each song has some deep meaning which is reflected in the relate-ability of many of his songs as his songs are not cryptic but more literal poetry which makes his music very listen-able. I could go on for hours about how much I enjoy Frank's voice but I feel it's pointless, go out and buy this album and experience the magic of his voice, its not operatic or unique particularly but it flows so well with his music and make for a quality album which so much going for it.

I've Listened to some fantastic albums this year it has been a very good year for music so far but this album really holds its own as one of, if not the best album I've heard so far this year. It has a true spirit running all the way through it. However I will say, I know I've sung it's praises all the way through this review, if I was to recommend any Frank Turner album I would still tell you to get Love, Song and Ire but it really is a tough call "England Keep My Bones" has so many brilliant tracks all of them unique in its own way spanning form gorgeous acoustic songs to near punks songs. Frank really has produced something special here. Also as a little point the deluxe edition case is really nice as well, well worth the extra money! This album really was worth every penny, so much so I was tempted to buy the limited edition vinyl as well, but I just managed to resist. If you want something new to listen, or have heard a few of Frank Turner's songs and and umming and ahhing about it, let me put you out of your misery and buy this album!

kthxbye
    Got this album today, it's awesome. Some pretty decent bonus tracks too.