Hot Rats review by Frank Zappa

• Released: Oct 10, 1969
Frank Zappa: Hot Rats

Once again Frank is hiding musical genius under repulsive lyric, making you the listener work for it. Just as hard as he did composing, writing and arranging it. The rewards are there however, you just have to listen for them. The variations in style and meter within the confines of a single track are mind numbing.

This is obviously one of the greatest instrumental albums of all time, even though it has vocals. Although the remixes are not quite as good as the originals.An all round classic.

I love this disc. It has a great combination of rock/jazz/fusion-type music and the tracks are long. Very cool jams and one of Zappa's most solid performances. Highly recommended.

sambargun
    This album is a true classic. Its a shame that more people dont know about albums like these. I feel this is the start of all that avant garde jazz stuff. The songs are flawlessly executed, plus there's that mammoth solo on 'willie the pimp'. Somebody should do a review of Zappa's "Jazz from Hell". I'd like to see what they write.....
    Soozy
    This album is amazing. One of the few instrumental albums that I actually have listened to over and over again. You can just feel the energy of the studio on 'Gumbo Variations'. Really, a must-listen for any musician.
    Slayer2
    im a huge fan of the last song on the album "It Must Be A Camel" great instrumental