Over-Nite Sensation review by Frank Zappa

• Released: Sep 7, 1973
Frank Zappa: Over-Nite Sensation

Frank Zappa's signature sound comes to it's full form in his 16th album. Frank Zappa proves once again that genre basing music is a load of crap. Surely it revolutionized the rock world at the time. The album begins with the quintessential sex song about absolutely nothing "Camarillo Brillo". "I'm the Slime" preaches about the evil that comes from your TV set. "Dirty Love" another sex song, as funny as it is. "Fifty Fifty" has an extremely awesome keyboard solo. "Zomby Woof" seems like a strange name for another sex song. The incredibly funny lyrics make up for that, however. "Dinah-Moe Humm" has an awesome bassline and lyrics that continue to make me smile/frown. The final song, "Montana" gives us one of the best guitar solos in all of Zappa-history. This album gives rock a new face, and it's pretty funny.

The lyrics are silly, and that's all there is to it. No hidden meanings to decipher. Just sit back and enjoy the nonsense. My favorite lyrics belong to Fifty Fifty, a song about transexuality(?). Zappa has a lot of perverted humor in his songs, so I wouldn't advise letting your kids listen to the album. Zappa is a fairly good singer, as well.

This album gives rock a new face, and it's pretty funny. All in all, it doesn't compare to "Sheik Yerbouti" but it certainly builds up to that spot. I reccomend this album to absolutely anyone. The only downside to this album is the fact that Ike Turner was partially involved with listening to the album. Buy this album, if you can find it. It's incredible. Sensationally, Selig.