Over-Nite Sensation review by Frank Zappa

• Released: Sep 7, 1973
Frank Zappa: Over-Nite Sensation

Frank Zappa's Over-Nite Sensation still stands as one of my favorites of all time, it's even where I got my username! This album has some of the greats from the Jazz world, including George Duke, Jean-Luc Ponty, and Ruth and Ian Underwood to name a few. If your not a Jazz fan though, don't leave yet! Zappa blends a lot of great styles into this album, including jazz, rock, funk and fusion. This band is really tight and Zappa plays some outstanding solos, including "Zomby Woof", "I'm The Slime", and "Montana". Unfortunately, the only other song where we get to hear another band member solo is on "Fifty-Fifty", and there pretty short.

The lyrical side of this album doesn't shine as brightly as the musical side, but there are hilarious and witty moments that include social commentary on Television, in "I'm The Slime" the sentimental subject of bestiality in 'Dirty Love", Raising Dental Floss in "Montana", and Sex in, practically all of it. And Frank isn't technically... Well... A singer by any means. But he can definitely hold his own. And I bet most people don't even know that Tina Turner and the Ikettes are on this album! But no doubt these lyrics will get you to laugh and laugh... I mean, how many songs have you heard about Dental Floss?

If you want to get into Zappa, but became overwhelmed after looking at his vast catalogue, and couldn't decide where to start, this is the right album for you. Some of his best material is included on this album. If your looking for snarling, frenzied, fuzzy guitar, you can find it on "I'm The Slime" or "Zomby Woof". Or If you want to listen to Lyrics about finding a woman who raises Dwarfs, or learn about a "special girl" who makes a forty dollar bet, look no further that "Camarillo Brillo" and "Dinah-Moe Humm". No doubt, one of my favorites, and maybe soon, yours.