Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar review by Frank Zappa

• Released: May 11, 1981
Frank Zappa: Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar

This album is a beautiful collection of some of Frank Zappa's finest guitar work. Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar is all instrumental, though it is interspersed with brief verbal comments between tracks. It contains some of Frank Zappa's lively guitar solos that are used as bridges between more familiar songs at live shows. These were all recorded live between 1977 and 1980. These guitar solos are both technically impressive and compositionally intelligent. From the moment I first listened to this album I was immediately taken away by the imagination, creativity, and driving energy packed into this CD. There are so many different sounds on here from a bristling heavy metal sound on the track "Hog Heaven" to milder, and more gentle songs such as "Pink Napkins".

Like it was brought out before, there are no lyrics on this album. The only words spoken are brief verbal comments between tracks.

This album is outstanding. This is truly one of Frank Zappa's finest achievements. This is my all time favorite Zappa album, and there is not one thing that disappoints me about it. A few of my favorite tracks on here include Five-Five-Five, Hog Heaven, Ship Ahoy, and Variations on the Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression. I would recommend this album to any guitarist looking for a CD filled with remarkable guitar work. If you are a Frank Zappa fan and you don't have this album, why not? You will not be disappointed with the collection of songs on here. If this album were stolen I would replace as soon as I possibly can, because it is an important part of my CD collection.