Strictly Commercial: The Best Of Frank Zappa review by Frank Zappa

• Released: Aug 22, 1995
Frank Zappa: Strictly Commercial: The Best Of Frank Zappa

Frank Zappa is unlike any artist that you've ever heard before. His solos are amazing, and his music cant be classified as one genre. Each song has several instruments playing at once, and bizarre sound effects in the background.

Frank's lyrics are hilariously funny in tracks like "Let's Make The Water Turn Black." In "I Am The Slime" his lyrics fit into the song perfectly, and has one of the greatest choruses that I've ever heard. "My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama" is downright frightening, and "Joe's Garage" just has very clever words.

It is impossible to compare Zappa to any artist that you've ever heard of. "Tell Me You Love Me," "Montana," Joe's Garage" and "I Am The Slime" stood out most to me. This is a great compilation of Zappa's songs, although none of his songs have ever been chart-topping, mainstream hits, they are all very well written.

ace man
    While a good attempt at a greatest hits, just the sheer scale of Zappa's back catalog makes any greatest hits album an incomplete affair. Many, in fact all of the tracks on the album really deserve to be understood within the contextual continuity of their original albums and the point in Zappas career in which they first appeared.