Franz Ferdinand review by Franz Ferdinand

• Released: Feb 9, 2004
Franz Ferdinand: Franz Ferdinand

The sound is very unique considering the music made in the last 15 years. There is a very 80's pop sound to their music. There is a touch of ska in the sound. It's very hard to explain. They have stomp rhythms in almost all of their songs, but it works. They have a sound original to themselves.

The lyrics seem pretty good, but the lyrics in "Michael" make me sick. It could've been a good track, but the homo-erotic lyrics just ruin it. The rest of the album I have no qualms. The singer has a great voice.

Franz Ferdinand is one of the most original new bands. I would say it's one of the must-haves in the first half of 2004. "Take me Out" is arguably one of the best singles of the year. The other songs are great, but don't expect "Take me Out" in every song. Each song is different but they're good for the most part. I probably won't buy it again because I backed it up on my computer, and if I lose it I'll just burn it. At first, the songs aren't catchy, and could be hard to sink in at first. "This Fire", "Auf Achse", and "Darts of Pleasure" kind of showed this for me. Now, after a few listens, the whole album is classic to me. If you're sickened by homosexual dialogue, just skip over "Michael". "Jacqueline", "Take me Out", "...Matinee", "Come on Home", and "'40" should be all instant classics.